New to breeding quails and could use some help

Discussion in 'Quail' started by sunshine ducky, Feb 14, 2017.

1. sunshine ducky

sunshine ducky Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2012
    Illinois
    Hey everyone, so I'm new to breeding as a whole; I've never ever done it before. So my main question is, do I just let my male and female be and collect their eggs? Im also wondering, how do I know the eggs my hen layed are fertile? One last question is how do I increase the eggs hatch rate? Thanks for any feedback!

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
  2. BobDBirdDog

BobDBirdDog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2014
    Tennessee
    You don't every really know if they are fertile or not unless you watch the two mate! Even then there is no guarantee the eggs are fertile as it could be issues with the roo or hens reproductive organs. But most likely if they breed you will get a fertile egg 99% of the time.

Yes, let them be....nature is nature and I don't know any other way you could help them to breed!

Hatch rate? You can and cant do this.
    Cant- There's always going to be a variation in hatch rates in fertile eggs, there is no way to change this fact. In saying that.....there is!

As a newbie this website is full of information archives, topics that have previously address your questions. but the short of it is there is no use repeating the same information that already exists in the other topics. So please search these archives and topics for the information of your curiosity.

You increase hatch rates and such by reading and learning as well as paying attention to the details. A good incubator, paying attention to the settings and making sure they are accurate.......etc will increase hatch rates. But you have to get the knowledge and experience behind you, eg learn what you are doing. Thus read the topics and you will be very pleased with the efforts.

3. sunshine ducky

sunshine ducky Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2012
    Illinois
    Thank you so much! I read many archives similar to this thread and I now have a clearer understanding, thanks again

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by