New to broodies

Athiena14

Crowing
5 Years
Feb 23, 2018
St. Robert MO
I got two silkie hens that have been sitting on eggs that I weren't sure would hatch. Been in the refrigerator for a couple of weeks. (Had some hatch like that before ) most of the eggs had gone bad or missing. I just put 5 turken/silkie mixes in with the two. 3 under one that horded all the eggs and 2 under the other.

How will I know if the hens rejected them? I picked those 5 cause they are my smallest chicks that hatched around the 1-5 of August

Silkies are generally good at fostering chicks. I'd keep an eye on things as chicks that old may be reluctant to imprint on the hens.

So those chicks are 9-14 days old? Wow, were they with a hen before? They may be to old to bond with the hen.

You will know if she calls them for food and they answer. If they don't answer, or she chases them away they aren't accepting eachother. If the hens keep sitting after chasing the other chicks away buy them very young chicks (5 days or under) to raise.

It is best to pen broodies up with their nest in a corner of the coop so nothing can happen to their eggs.

Silkies are generally good at fostering chicks. I'd keep an eye on things as chicks that old may be reluctant to imprint on the hens.
I went and checked this morning after last night seemed to go well. 2 that I put under my black had died. The 3 under the white are still with her and sticking close to her. I dunno if they had gotten out from under her and refused to go back under or if she didn't want them anymore. She is no longer staying on the nest either

So those chicks are 9-14 days old? Wow, were they with a hen before? They may be to old to bond with the hen.

You will know if she calls them for food and they answer. If they don't answer, or she chases them away they aren't accepting eachother. If the hens keep sitting after chasing the other chicks away buy them very young chicks (5 days or under) to raise.

It is best to pen broodies up with their nest in a corner of the coop so nothing can happen to their eggs.
They were not with another hen. I dont have any younger chicka and no one else near me had any

Back
Top Bottom