New to broody hen hatch, Any tips?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ank273, Jan 13, 2013.

1. ank273

ank273 New Egg

Dec 15, 2012
    So, two of my hens have just gone broody. Just wondering if anybody has any tips or need to knows so i dont stuff it up and waste 2 dozen fertile eggs. Thanks in advance

2. arcy liger

arcy liger Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2012
    dont disturb them....last time mine wentbroody but did not hatched any thing, this time she hatched 6 and 7 were graphted to her.....
    dont bother them and seperate them from others.. they should always have food and water ....
    KEEP us update

Regaurds , ARCY

3. ank273

ank273 New Egg

Dec 15, 2012
    thanks arcy. Since i have two hens should they also be seperated from each other or will they be right together? Also, How do i slip the fertile eggs under them and get the non-fertile eggs out from under them?

4. myfinefeatheredfriends

myfinefeatheredfriends Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Ohio
    Yes you should separate the hens just in case. Just put some poultry netting around them. Make sure momma has fresh water and food at all times. As to your second question I would wait til she is off the nest to eat or drink before touching the eggs.

5. arcy liger

arcy liger Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2012
    you can do it at night or when she is out

you can also keep them together with one or two nestboxes......

6. jak2002003

jak2002003 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand
    You should be able to just take the eggs off them and put the fertile ones under her.... broody hens are very 'broody' and it take a lot to make them give up the nest.

If you want to play it safe, just wait till they are off the nest feeding.

Its best to keep them with the flock - otherwise you will have problems re introducing them and the chicks later. You must stop other chickens getting into the broody nest and adding extra eggs of their own - or the broody will have too many eggs to sit of and they will get cold and die).

The will usually only leave the nest 2 times a day to fill up on food and water and have a big poop!

When I get a broody hen I just leave them to it and only separate them (with wire of something) if other hens are trying to get in the nest).

When the 2 mums hatch out the eggs they should share the chicks together in the day, and the chicks usually go back to their real mum at evening time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by