New to button quail - hen laid 10 eggs, maybe broody?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by chance&augie, Jun 30, 2011.

1. chance&augie

chance&augie Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2011
    Greater Houston Area
    Have two buttons in an aquarium tank indoors (room temp is about 80), one male and one female. Get along very well. Ever since got the pair, the hen has laid one egg a day. The hen has gathered them in one back corner of the tank. Last night (the 9th egg), she even attempted to sit on them, but seems to give up after a couple of minutes. The pair will sleep huddling together, but far away on the other side of the tank, away from the eggs. Not sure what to do, leave them alone? Take the eggs out? (Don't have a 'bator) Would rather have the hen naturally incubate the eggs if possible. But for buttons I heard it is rather unusual for a button hen to go broody? Should I wait a couple more days to see if she wants to sit on them? Or l I should just take the eggs out? Don't want to wait too long and if the hen's not going to sit, I don't want the eggs to go bad (for eating) either... I am new to buttons so any insight will be very helpful. Thanks in advance!

2. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Button quail brood easy! It's Coturnix that rarely do. Button quail are Excalfactoria chinensis so completely different. If you don't have an incubator then you can see if she will incubate them.

3. chance&augie

Jun 29, 2011
    Greater Houston Area
    She is gathering the pine shavings today around the eggs... does the prospect look good?
    [​IMG]

4. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Oh yes!

5. chance&augie

Jun 29, 2011
    Greater Houston Area
    Update: Definitely broody! It's been almost 10 days and she sits on the eggs intermittently. A very strange thing is that the male quail actually gets "broody" as well and will sit on the eggs too! Is this normal?! Yesterday hubby commented that since Augie is not sitting on the eggs all the time the eggs are not going to develop, so he snatched 4 eggs out of the makeshift nest while both quails are eating (!!!) After he hardboiled them, two of them are normal looking eggs, but two of them look developing (have some blood vessel looking marks on the yolk and the yolk seems to be very runny.
    The house is pretty warm around 80-83 during the day so I guess the eggs can develop in this temperature? As of now, Augie is sitting on the eggs again with Chance "guarding". He seems to be territorial since he crowed quite loudly after a mockingbird nearby (just outside the window) crowed this morning.

6. alln7220

alln7220 Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2010
    need pics when they hatch;)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by