New to BYC and a question!

Kealoha

Hatching
8 Years
Apr 24, 2011
Hello,

After months of thinking about it, we got our first 4 chicks last week - a Black Australorp, a Barred Rock, an Ameraucana and a Buff Orpington...I think. The different breeds were all mixed together at the feed store, and while I asked for a buff orpington, now that the feathers are coming in I'm not so sure that's what I got. The chick is coming in with brown patterned feathers with buff coloring just on the ends - I took pictures but can't post them as I'm a new member. I've done a little research on-line and I'm wondering if we got a New Hampshire Red (which was one of the breeds in the mix) instead of the Buff Orpington. Are they easily confused as chicks?

Any insight will be most appreciated! Thanks.

Kealoha

welcome-byc.gif

frow.gif

woot.gif

Chicks at TSC or feed stores can be mixed up. Most stores do not have chicken experts on staff to know what different breeds they have.

welcome-byc.gif
and yes, it's common for the chicks to be all mixed up and the retail folks just don't know which is which! Kind of makes it fun!

Thanks! I love the look of the Buff Orpingtons, but surprises are fun, too. I'm thinking I'll just have to wait and see...

Back
Top Bottom