New to BYC and chickens!

caitelady91

Hatching
May 4, 2016
Arizona
I am in AZ, and my Boyfriend and I inherited 6 chickens about 2 months ago. A friend could no longer keep them so he gave them to us and built us a coop too! We have a 3 year old German Shepherd (who enjoys chasing birds out of the yard), so before the chickens came we bought 4 chicks to help acclimate her to the birds that she shouldn't chase. It worked pretty well, but there is more training to do there.

Unfortunately, temperatures here took a swift increase and in the span of a few days went from mid 90's to 117 degrees. We lost 2 of the big chickens which broke my heart. We took some ideas from BYC and experienced chicken owners and the remaining 4 have done very well since implementing a few changes. We're working out a few kinks but so far I really enjoy keeping chickens.

Hope everyone has a great day!

welcome-byc.gif
So glad you joined us! That's so nice that you took them in, and sorry about your losses. Chicken keeping can be super difficult during the summer months, especially with temperatures like those. I don't know if you've seen them already, but these threads really helped me. Good luck, and I hope you have a great day as well!
smile.png

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Sorry to hear about the losses. Extreme heat is difficult to deal with for birds and humans. Best of luck for the future and hoping things will go smoothly for you and your flock!

Back
Top Bottom