New to BYC and chickens

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by LVchicks, Jan 28, 2013.

1. LVchicks

LVchicks Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2013
    Our chicks should be arriving Feb 11 or thereabouts. I have read and read and read and I have some expert chicken-raising friends on standby. We have 25 chicks coming but will re-home half because I don't want a flock that large.

I have two questions to start:

at what age is it OK to start giving them food in addition to chick feed?

I already use food grade DE for pest control (we are in south central TX and bugs, flies, ants scorpions etc...are issues pretty much year round) should I wait until they are out in their coop before adding DE to their environment or should I put a little in their bedding in the brooder?

2. Impress

Impress Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Gray, TN
    They shouldn't need it in the brooder at all, but if you are worried, I don't think a little sprinkle would hurt them. Congratulations on becoming a chicken person! Welcome to BYC,

3. CarolynF

CarolynF Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2011
    Puget Sound
    My Coop
    Hi there! Welcome to BYC [​IMG] [​IMG]

When you ask about giving them "food", are you talking about table scraps and other people food?

4. LVchicks

Jan 28, 2013
    yes, I meant to qualify that 'food' as table/human food.

I've read quite a bit about what to and not to give chickens and understand that, just not when.
    These hens are for laying but also as pets\backyard companions and I want to be able to start bribing them to like me asap [​IMG]

5. WooingWyandotte

WooingWyandotte Overrun With Chickens

Apr 25, 2011
    Nor cal
    Congrats! Chickens are so much fun. :)

In my experience, I start feeding them table scraps as soon as they show an interest and will eat it. I'm too busy to feed my chicks table scraps all the time so I couldn't give you an exact schedule of when to feed them this or that, as I'm sure someone else could.

Usually scrambled eggs can be a first food at 2-4 wks. I know it may sound gross, with the chick coming from an egg in the first place and all; but it's actually really healthy for the chicks to eat. If your chicks don't seem interested at 2-4 wks,I'd just wait and try again a week later.

Then again, I've heard that some people's chicks just love scrambled eggs really early! So I wouldn't sweat it either way.
    And also, I've started putting ACV (Apple Cider Vinegar) in my birds waterers - it has a lot of health benefits for the young and old ones! For example, I have had no trouble whatsoever with coccidia since using ACV; my young birds are very robust and healthy, even one who had a rocky start due to a ridiculous broody hen of mine who turned cannibalistic. [​IMG]

One more thing, remember not to use cedar shavings with your chicks. They are toxic. You may already know that but better to be safe than sorry. Regular pine shavings are great if you want a suggestion. :)

Have a great one,
    Woo

6. LVchicks

Jan 28, 2013
    I planned on using pine or aspen. I've kept quite a few 'pocket pets' (guinea pigs, hamsters, rats...) in my life and you never use cedar with them either I'm assuming for the same reasons.

7. WooingWyandotte

WooingWyandotte Overrun With Chickens

Apr 25, 2011
    Nor cal
    Good deal. I wish you luck with your birds!

8. Sweetly Silkies

Sweetly Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2012
    MO
    My Coop
    I always give mine really tiny pieces of hard boiled eggs for them to peck at around 5 days old for standard breeds, and 7 days for bantams. you can start integrating the layer pellets as soon as all of your hens have started laying. Hope you have fun with your new chicks/chickens!

9. Brynansmommie

Brynansmommie Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2012
    When they are older chicken love cracked corn. We call it chicken crack. Our girls will follow you around hoping for some cracked corn. My kids sprinkle it in the grass and they peck for it. We sprinkle it anywhere we want the girls to weed and airate for us too, like a flower bed before we plant.

10. dolphinlvr4

dolphinlvr4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2013
    Savannah ga
    Mine are 12 days old now n love tiny bits of hard boiled eggs but will jump up to the can for a moving mealworms, they just go nut but u have to put it on something other than the shaving cuz they can't really see them. ;-). Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by