New to BYC and Chickens!

lethalfire

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 1, 2014
Illinois
Hello everyone, I am not only new to BYC's but I am also new to chickens in general. However I am NOT new to the farm fresh eggs that they produce. I have had many critters throughout my life but I have never had chickens. I am a stay at home mom who lives on 5 acres in the country and both of my girls are getting older and in school now. For a while I had tossed around the idea of getting some chickens, we already had a coop that we were using as a rabbit hutch that was now empty because the rabbits got moved into an ACTUAL rabbit hutch. So about 3 weeks ago I was talking to my local feed store and they just happened to have someone who wanted to give 4 chickens (1 believed to be a rooster) to a good home. So I received Henny Penny the Rhode Island Red, Goldie the Buff Orpington, Rocky the Barred Rock (that we believe is a rooster) and Star who we were told is either a black star or a black Australorp she was not sure. I figured why not get some chickens, let them eat my weeds and bugs and get some fresh eggs when they get older (they were only 2 months old when I got them, now almost 3). I did NOT expect them to be sooooo entertaining. I have a blast watching them and seeing just where they will end up from minute to minute as I let them free range.

I must have got bitten pretty hard because now I have a neighbor down the road who also has chickens and ducks and is talking about having me incubate a couple duck eggs, says they are a blast. And This weekend I have a person bringing me 6 baby silkie chickens all the way from Georgia (I live in Illinois) I can't WAIT to get the silkies, they look like soooooo much fun. I was told they are eithr 1 week old or 3 weeks old lol the lady couldn't remember what the person who is selling them told her, hopefully that will change by the time I get them lol.

Here is a quick pic. of my chickens, this is when I was just starting to let them explore out of their coop/run a little bit.

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Looks like you have a cute little flock! Rocky is definitely a rooster! Can't see Star well enough in the picture to see all her color, but Black Stars usually have red feathers on the neck and chest area, while Black Australorps are solid black. One thing with having a small flock and a rooster, you may need to get more hens for Rocky, the usual recommended ratio is around 10 hens per rooster or the hens tend to get overmated. Silkie often can't be run with regular birds or they will get picked on, so you may need to keep them separate.

Thank you for the welcome! Star does not have any red feathers at all, the only thing I've noticed on her is on each wing it looks like she has 1 little white feather and you can only see that when she is flapping or stretching her wings. I definitely will be getting more chickens but probably not til next spring when the local feed stores and tractor supply store has some chicks so my girls can raise them. The "big" chickens are going in a bigger coop and the coop they are in now is what I will be using for the silkies. I plan on keeping them separated in different coops otherwise I have read the bigger ones can pick on my silkies. Now when it's free range time they will just have to all learn to get along lol.
I hope I am doing things right. With the silkies coming being 1-3 weeks old only how soon do you offer them grit? I'm sure they will be inside for a while as we are having a very unusual cool summer.

Here is a better picture of star, but those little white speck you see in her feathers only appeared because of the flash I believe because to look at her all you see is black.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Grit is needed when they are eating things other than their chick feed. So you can offer it any time now.

You have a pretty flock! :)

When I let out the chickens a couple hours ago to free range I looked closely at Star and noticed she has some feathers
with some blue coloring in them and after looking at some pictures of Black Australorp hen's I do believe she is a black Australorp. Maybe sometime today I can get a better picture of her.

I'm kinda worried about the Rooster now, I didn't realize you needed 10 hens per one rooster. I knew it was better to have only 1 rooster with a small amount of chickens but didn't realize they needed 10!! WOW! With them only being 2-3 months old will my 3 hens be ok til next spring when I get some baby chicks to raise? I don't want bald chickens.

Finally got some pics of her, she does NOT like her picture taken lol. In the last picture you can see some of the blue coloring on her feathers I was talking about.

Back
Top Bottom