New to BYC and have an important question!!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by shaggythehen, Feb 10, 2016.

1. shaggythehen

shaggythehen Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2016
    Hello all ! I have been on this site a million times since we started our flock of nine last spring. Such a wealth of knowledge you all have and I am forever grateful for the wonderful advice. That being said I need your HELP!!!!
    I have a RDR hen named Shaggy who has had some trouble today. My hens free range throughout the day and I noticed this morning that Shaggy was staying in one place and away from the other ladies, which is very unlike her. I chalked this up to the cold weather , until.... this afternoon I noticed her standing still with her tail pointed straight down to the ground not moving at all for the longest time. I went to her, picked her up and brought her inside. I immediately checked her vent and saw what looked like a deflated balloon hanging out I gently pulled that out and started my research on what this could be. A lot of what I read said to get her warm and hopefully if she had an egg stuck it would drop out. I turned on the shower to make a steam room and sure enough out popped a shell less egg. Membrane totally intact just no shell. At this point we offered her food and water which she gladly accepted both. But her tail is still pointed straight to the ground? She seems very sleepy, shutting her eyes, she has not pooped once since she has been inside, which for a chicken ,we all know is VERY unusual and she just doesn't seem to feel well at all.
    I called our local feed store where I purchased our hens and asked them about this and the manager said that I should keep her inside and give her antibiotics for the next 3 days in her water.
    The internet sites suggest me putting on gloves and trying to feel around in the vent and see if I can feel and egg parts needing to be freed? I'm not even sure I would know where to begin this process? I would greatly appreciate any help with this. I will upload pictures of Shaggy, her deflated shell, and shell less egg. Thanks so much!

2. shaggythehen

Feb 10, 2016
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    First welcome [​IMG]
    Shell less eggs usually means a calcium deficiency. This can be due to insufficient amount in feed or chicken not able to process the calcium in her system. [​IMG].. The deflated balloon you pulled out most likely is the soft shell of an egg that broke inside of her.??? The rest of the contents of that egg or portions of it may still be inside in some quantity. That is maybe why she is not feeling all that great. Only suggestion I have is to keep her inside where it is warm and see if she recovers on her own.. It may all straighten it self on its own in short time..
    Some questions???
    What are you feeding your hens?
    How many do you have and are they all laying ?
    Are the other hens" eggs with good shells?
    Do you provide grit or crushed oyster shell free choice.?

These are some questions that many reading your post may be wondering about. It may help some give you great advice.

WISHING YOU BEST. [​IMG]

4. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I wouldn't worry or do anything unless it continues to happen. I don't think antibiotics will do anything unless she's actually sick. Sometimes respiratory infections can cause soft eggs. Usually soft eggs occur as the hen is resuming or starting to lay or slowing down production. Being too warm and panting can cause it too but it's the wrong time of year for that. Being stressed or startled can also cause an egg to come out before it's ready.

5. shaggythehen

Feb 10, 2016
    Thank you both for your responses! To answer your questions We have a local feed store that makes their own feed (Seminole feed and grain) and I feed them the egg maker crumble.
    I have 7 hens and one Roo. All the Hens are laying and all of their eggs have extremely hard shells. I have in the past seen a few of these "deflated balloon shells" in the coop and upon research found that the hen probably got spooked by something and the egg failed to form all the way. This is the first time that any of my hens have exhibited any ill effects of this type of egg. I do provide free choice oyster shell and I give them crushed egg shells occasionally.
    My concern for Shaggy is growing because as she passed this deflated egg shell and then released this shell less egg, I assumed that her health would be improving. Instead ,however her tail is still pointed down and she is continuously reaching her head through her legs and messing with her vent, which is covered in a wet mess. Her bowl movements have started to return, which I can only assume is a good sign.
    I have read that the best thing to do is give her a warm soak in a tub? Any suggestions on this? Thanks again!

6. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    You are feeding everything correctly. The wet mess may be the remains of the broken egg oozing to the outside. A NICE WARM BATH would not hurt anybody. (don't try doing cats [​IMG]) It may be a challenge handling her in the water. You will want to dry her up somewhat even keeping her inside warm house.

7. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC. As well as the learning centre, you can already see what a supportive and helpful membership we have from the above posts. I hope that all goes well with your hen.

Good luck
    CT

8. shaggythehen

Feb 10, 2016
    Thank you so much, for the warm welcome and the comforting advice I will let you know how it goes!

9. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    If you have a hair dryer (not hot) but warm you could speed up her drying after a bath so she doesn't chill. Usually they like a warm bath and can even fall sleep during one, so make sure her head doesn't drop into the water. Hope she will be feeling much better soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by