New to BYC! and ready to start talking chickens!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by sspencer139, Oct 18, 2013.

1. sspencer139

sspencer139 New Egg

Oct 18, 2013
    Michigan
    Hello all! I have about 30 chickens and I would like to start hatching my own eggs. However, with the change in seasons i went from getting over 16 eggs a day on average to 4. There is about 4 younger chickens that should be laying and are not we haven't changed anything the only thing I could think of was the change in season. Anyone else having this issue? Or any advice on how to get their egg production back on track? I really want to start incubating the eggs and we also sell them!

2. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    In a sense, yes, it is because the changing of seasons. It would be the shortening of the days. Chickens need at least 14 hours of light to lay an egg. There is a special gland in the eye that when it sees light, it starts the egg making proccess. With the sun going down early and getting up, they are getting less light and thus lay less eggs! You could try supplemental lighting, that is what I do. I have it on a timer so it turns on and off automatically.

[​IMG]

3. KM and Ruthie

KM and Ruthie Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2013
    You can put a light in there coop on a timer, so there is a consistent number of daylight hours. Also, if the are molting, that would explain the drop in production.

4. KM and Ruthie

KM and Ruthie Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

5. All Henned Up

All Henned Up Muffs or Tufts

Welcome and enjoy!
    Steve.:frow

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

7. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] If you need to keep them in production you can artificially extend their daylight hours by adding a light to the coop. It doesn't have to be very bright, just enough to read a newspaper by. This is better done in the mornings, so you don't interfere with their roosting behaviour in the evenings. Let them go to roost as normal and wake them up a bit earlier. Keep in mind by keeping the hens productive through winter you will shorten their laying lifespan though. A hen only has so many egg cells and when they are used up, it's over.

1 person likes this.
  8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

9. sspencer139

sspencer139 New Egg

Oct 18, 2013
    Michigan
    Thank you all for the advice. I will try that and see what happens!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by