New to BYC and to chickens!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by PeggyandIris, Jan 23, 2015.

1. PeggyandIris

PeggyandIris New Egg

Jan 23, 2015
    Hi all, I've just signed up for BYC, although I have been using the website as a non-member to prepare for my chickens.

I have a white Silkie called Iris and a buff lace Polish called Peggy. I got the girls a week ago and they seem to be settling in well.

I did get them as pets, so I want to be able to handle them. At the moment they're not keen on being picked up but will let me stroke them. Any tips on getting them more used to me?

My other question is about treats. I've tried giving them a few but they just don't seem to even realise it's food. They'll eat corn, like they did at the farm but totally ignore anything else. I've tried green leaves, broccoli and also a sloppy mix of porridge oats, corn and water because I was told oats are good to keep them warm through the cold nights. Any thoughts on treats?

Thanks in advance. I look forward to reading some interesting threads.

Sam.

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

3. PeggyandIris

PeggyandIris New Egg

Jan 23, 2015
    Thank you, BantamFan4Life. There's lots to read!

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

It takes a while for new birds to warm up to you. To them you are a predator especially when you reach down over them to pick them up. So for a while, I would avoid touching them much until they get used to their new home and you. But go sit with them daily. On their level of the floor. Bring some goodies, something you know they like and let them climb on you and know you mean no harm. After a few weeks they will soften up a bit. Eventually you may even have some lap warmers!

As for treats, young birds are cautious of everything at first. This is a built in safety mechanism to keep them alive. So just keep offering them the goodies and eventually they will eat or try to eat anything that drops to the floor! Ha!

Enjoy your new birds! Give them time to adjust. It is scary being a freshly moved chicken!

Welcome to our flock!

5. ChickyChickens

ChickyChickens Chickening Around

May 24, 2014
    BYC? Epic <3
    My Coop
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Welcome to BYC!!! There are loads of members on here…so if you have ANY questions…just ASK!!!

Hope you have loads of fun and all your answers answered here on BYC the BEST CHICKEN KEEPING FORUM on EARTH!!

[​IMG][​IMG]

6. PeggyandIris

PeggyandIris New Egg

Jan 23, 2015
    Thanks for the advice, TwoCrows. I will definitely bear that in mind. I'd love some "lap warmers". Really looking forward to them knowing me better.

Thanks again,
    Sam.

7. PeggyandIris

PeggyandIris New Egg

Jan 23, 2015
    Thanks for the warm welcome, ChickyChickens [​IMG]

8. matt44644

matt44644 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2014
    Sanilac County,Michigan
    [​IMG]

9. BayBay Peepers