New to BYC California Central Valley

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by sewandgrow, Sep 7, 2010.

1. sewandgrow

sewandgrow Sewandgrow

Sep 7, 2010
    Turlock California
    :)Hello,
    I am Karen in Turlock California. My husband & I are retired & live on 6 acres in an area that is heavy in Dairy cows, almonds & agricultural crops. We ourselves have Hereford cows in the pasture.
    I have my chickens & my husband has his Border Collie.
    Our grown children live here in their own places & we get to see our grand children everyday.
    I like to try new chickens & am after a colorful variety of eggs. I pretty much have always stuck to purbreds but am toying with the idea of cross breeding for different egg colors.
    I have 5 Cuckoo Marans hens, a trio of teenage Wheaten Marans & a trio of Black Copper Marans, a trio of Buff Orphingtons, a pairof Ameracuanas (very light turquoise egg) & a small assortment of other pullets.
    I have a trio of Welsh Harlequin ducks & several Black Swedish ducks that started with last years trio.I have a pair of Sebastapol geese,a Pekin duck & 2black runner drakes.
    I have been incubating eggs this year with some luck so I have about 20 something B/C babies of various ages & 3 Americuana chicks all doing fine so far.
    I would like to find more California chicken lovers. Is there a California Club?
    I have many hobbies, quilting, beading, crocheting, stained glass,mosaics. I have always been an avid gardener but physically limit myself now. Leaving the hard work to the younger ones.............LOL

2. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Welcome! [​IMG]

3. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    [​IMG] from SoCal!

4. mullers3acers

mullers3acers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2007
    la porte, In
    [​IMG]

5. Ladymaran

Ladymaran Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2010
    Welcome Karen! You certainly keep yourself busy [​IMG] Don't know where Turlock is, but I am in the San Fernando Valley. I am fairly new to this site myself. I envy your flock of marans, LOL! I too am retired although I volunteer and watch my 4 y.o. granddaughter, and love to garden.

6. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
  7. 3chimama

3chimama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Welcome from Oregon! I had a great aunt Pearl who lived in Turlock!! Miss her dearly, very sweet lady ;D

8. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Ah, the central valley. I spent the summer of 1980 selling books door to door from Fresno to Merced. Lots of amons, grapes, figs, cotton, tomatoes. What a great place to raise a family... and chickens... but as I remember it gets almost as hot there in the summer as it does here in Phoenix.

Wish you were closer, we could swap eggs to hatch... I have pure bred Wheaten/Blue Wheaten Ameraucanas, some marans and some mixed polish.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by