New to BYC excited to learn + share!

moira670

In the Brooder
Jan 25, 2015
Hiya!

I am just starting mt chicken breed research and was excited to find BYC!

Thinking of 6 chickens to start withand getting Pullets locally. Living in Near Westside of Syracuse and looking at Nature Berry in Macedon, NY.

Considering Spangled Russian Orlof, Black Australorp and Easter Egger - 2 each.
From my research each breed seems friendly, fairly non-agressive towards one another, good foragers and are decent egg layers.

Does anyone know if these birds are compatible with one another?
The ladies will be handled regularly by folks from the neighborhood as a teaching flock.

Thanks a bunch!
moira

You did your research well. My small flock gets handled by neighborhood children in the summer as the girls are free range in the yard. When the chicks all grow up together , there is usually very little chance of fighting. It is when a newcomer is added that some issues arise . After a short time, the new ones are accepted . they usually start at the bottom of the pecking order and work their way up. HOPE THE PEOPLE ENJOY YOUR CHICKS.
welcome-byc.gif

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Most chickens raised together as chicks will get along. I LOVE the Black Australorps! My favorite breed!! My Aussies are HUGE on lap sitting and over all friendliness. Very docile birds and great layers too. EE's make great layers and are also a docile breed. I am not sure about the temperament of the other breed you mentioned. They sure are pretty however.

Have you stopped by our learning center yet? Lots of good articles on all the aspects of keeping chickens...https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Enjoy this new journey you are on and welcome to our flock!

welcome-byc.gif
I'm glad you joined us!

I've raised Easter Eggers before, but not Orloffs or Australorps, so I can't tell you for sure if they will get along. From what I've heard, though, all of those breeds tend to be rather docile, so I think they'd probably get along well. Chickens in general are social animals that dislike being alone and rarely fight.

Good luck with your future chickens!

So glad you've joined the flock. You've gotten some great input so far above - look forward to hearing all about your adventures in chicken keeping!

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Out of your list, I've only had an Easter Egger, so I can't tell you how well the three breeds would get along. But, I do enjoy my Easter Egger, and would recommend Easter Eggers, as they are docile and very good layers.

Back
Top Bottom