New to BYC from uk

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Mamaoflots, Aug 5, 2013.

1. Mamaoflots

Mamaoflots Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2013
    Hi there, I have 4 girls of different breeds. Plus we have 2 eggs in the incubator. One is a light Sussex and the other is from a mixed batch. They are due to hatch in 10 days. Really hope they are viable as I will have 4 very unhappy children.
    We bought the eggs from a local farmer as one of the girls went broody, when I got home with them, I put them under her. She sat for about 3 hours and then was done. So they went quick smart in the incubator.
    Anything I should know about when they hatch? Should I hand rear them or put them straight out with the girls?
    What should I feed the newly hatched chicks?

Thanks in advance
    Zoe.

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings, Zoe, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined us! Baby chicks are generally given a feed called Chick Starter. Good luck to you and happy hatching!

4. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
  5. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    Welcome to the site! [​IMG]

6. Mamaoflots

Mamaoflots Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2013
    Yep have the chick crumb ready and waiting! Have been reading yogurt is good. Is that just for chicks or chickens in general? Why?
    We feed our girls on layers pellets and mixed corn with any foodwaste/scraps. Bit cannibalistic but they love a good chicken carcass!

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] Please read the threads on incubation and hatching. Baby chicks need a proper brooder with a heat lamp for a few weeks time. They don't get put out immediately with the adult chickens. Generally their mother would give them some protection but that is not the case here. They would get pecked at or much worse. AS you know chickens ARE cannibalistic. Baby chicks generally are not put out in the coop until they are fully feathered out. Others can tell you how to integrate them into the flock with as little stress as possible but, that is a topic for another day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by