New to BYC from Waterloo Ia!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by sustainablelove, Jan 27, 2013.

1. sustainablelove

sustainablelove New Egg

Jan 27, 2013
    Just got started reading and learning about chickens. Hoping to start a flock of 4 laying hens. Is it best to start with baby chicks or adult hens?
    Not sure where to even search to purchase them. Anyone near here have any suggestions?

2. JerseyGiantfolk

JerseyGiantfolk Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2012
    Welcome to BYC. [​IMG]

You can find some hatching eggs here on BYC at the Buy~Sell~Trade section. Also check local feedstores, breeders and hatcheries.

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and [​IMG]! Great to have you here! I think most people raise chickens from chicks rather than buying adult hens. What you do I guess depends on your set p and what you want. Lucky for you Iowa has a couple of great hatcheries. Murray McMurray is widely used and sells a great selection. Schlect is another hatchery. There are others in Iowa, I'm sure. Below is a link to hatcheries. Good luck to you!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/16/chicken-breeders-hatcheries

4. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

5. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] I personally prefer raising chicks, first of all because I'm a chick addict and secondly because it's easier to bond with them and tame them when they are small. The downside is that you might end up with roosters, even if you buy sexed chicks there is still the odd roo that slips through and you'll have to wait 5-6 months for eggs. Raising chicks on the other hand is cheaper than buying POL pullets. But POL pullets are guaranteed to be hens and they'll lay within a month or 2... Up to you, but whichever way you decide, enjoy your chickens!

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. Study the forums and ask questions - you will do fine with your flock. Some excellent suggestions as to sources have been provided.

7. chickenpooplady

chickenpooplady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Ohio
    My Coop
    [​IMG] from Highland County Ohio and God Bless!!!

8. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

9. Dnetschke

Dnetschke Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2012
    Berthoud, CO
    [​IMG]

10. mineral

mineral New Egg

Sep 24, 2012
    Iowa
    babys is the best way to get started cause you learn as you go and by the 2nd year you are still learning new stuff about your chickens,

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by