New to BYC!! Helllooo!! :)

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by pickled1, Jan 18, 2017.

1. pickled1

pickled1 Just Hatched

Jan 18, 2017
    England
    Hey,
    So iv'e used this site before, for little tips and tricks but thought its rude to keep pinching all your ideas without saying Hiiiiii!!
    I work in school which has a city farm. (kids are so lucky). On our farm we have sheep, goats, different breeds of hen (we had a cockerel until neighbors complained) Muscovy ducks, Runner ducks and Call ducks.
    We also have little animals like rabbits, guinea pigs and 3 cats.
    The children love being able to help out on the farm as part of their lunch time duties, from cleaning out the sheep to collecting eggs, they all get something to do in their 7 years here.
    So, the point of this message is to say hello! and thank you for all your ideas and help already.

Much appreciated on my behalf as I'm learning as i go along.

Lottie[​IMG]

2. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi, Lottie - [​IMG]! Glad you decided to say "hello". [​IMG]

Your school with the city farm sounds great! It must be fun to see the kids interact with all those animals, and I think it's fantastic that they're learning about the responsibility that goes with having animals...it's not just "all fun all the time". lol

I look forward to seeing more posts from you in the BYC forums. Again, welcome!

3. slkyldy4evr

slkyldy4evr Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2016
    America
    Hello and :welcome, those kids sure are lucky! There's so much helpful information here and hope you find answered to any questions you have, and if you dont, luckily you can post!:D

4. N F C

N F C dem crazy bones Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Your school sounds like a fun one, would love to see a picture or two if you'd care to share.

Thanks for joining us!

5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Lottie, and :welcome! Pleased you joined our community! :frow

6. pickled1

pickled1 Just Hatched

Jan 18, 2017
    England
    Hey, We're in England, and I shall post photos shortly. Plenty of information on here to help me get by, and some very helpful people already [​IMG] thank you you!

7. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Welcome to BYC!

8. pickled1

pickled1 Just Hatched

Jan 18, 2017
    England
    [​IMG].
    These are the turkeys. Both pardoned from christmas. Female is 'freeze' age 4 and the male is 'thor' age 1 both sadly passed now.

9. pickled1

pickled1 Just Hatched

Jan 18, 2017
    England
    [​IMG].
    [​IMG]. This Muscovy called Jemima managed to keep hold of some eggs and these fluff balls hatched. However she wasn't keen on keeping three,injured ones foot,so it needed help, and came home with me, after plenty rest, baths, and making a friend, she is fine now and back with the rest [​IMG]. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. pickled1

pickled1 Just Hatched

Jan 18, 2017
    England
    [​IMG] [​IMG].
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]. [​IMG]. All these birds hatched via candled eggs, (with help from the kids), we put them in a incubator and watched them hatch. This was brilliant for the children, as they got to watch it happen. ( Of course as they were hand reared from word go, someone had to take them home in the evening, me and another staff member shared this job) the chickens now grown are fantastic, and interact with the kids. We use the eggs for baking cakes now as the dad 'bruce the cockerel' has had to go due to noise complaints, he's now an alarm for a scrap yard [​IMG] and 'rex the Muscovy' is in another pen, still on site.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by