New to byc...how should I do this??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Thund3rWang95, Apr 4, 2018.

1. Thund3rWang95

Thund3rWang95 In the Brooder

Apr 4, 2018
    Clifton, ME
    Currently have 50 ish birds. Lots of variety . Some were bought as pullets...some straight run...wanted to see if we could peg any for sure to be roos as of now...as they will not be staying. Have some fancier breeds coming in the next couple weeks that are straight run so going to keep those when the roos pop up. So out of the 48 birds I need the bigger ones to get a second opinion. Some of the smaller guys may be a bit harder. 5 australorp, 6 buff orps and 6 RI reds are all around 5/6 weeks. 6 barred rocks are 3/4 weeks, 6 nh reds are 4/5 weeks, 3 EE 3/4 WEEKS, 3 EE 4 white leghorn 4 red sexlink 4 silver wyandottes all 2/3 weeks. And some of the smaller ones and EE I know won't be able to be clear. Was just wondering best way to get answers? Should I break it down by breed? Should I not clutter the forums with 48 different posts? Ugh...HELP!!

puffypoo22 and drumstick diva like this.
  2. Frazzemrat1

Frazzemrat1 Free Ranging

May 8, 2017
    Eastern Connecticut
    WELCOME TO BYC!!!!
    :frow:wee:frow
    :welcome
    instawelcome.jpg

Now, LOL The best way is going to be for you to take individual pics of any suspects when they're between 6-8 weeks old. Make sure you get shots of the comb, hackle and saddle feathers and in natural light. Also, pics of them standing naturally will help as well.

JedJackson likes this.
  3. JedJackson

JedJackson Crossing the Road

Jul 6, 2016
    NW Washington state
    At those ages most won't be sexable. Obviously sex links will, and so should barred rocks due to differing plumage patterns of males and females. I'd start with those and just do a few at a time with the others.

4. Thund3rWang95

Apr 4, 2018
    Clifton, ME
    Thanks and will do!! I'll make a separate post?? Or just go here?

drumstick diva and JedJackson like this.
  5. Frazzemrat1

Frazzemrat1 Free Ranging

May 8, 2017
    Eastern Connecticut
    Either or. It will be easier for you and the helpers if you number your chicks and pics. So we can all be on the same page. That's if you do it all in one thread... if you do individual threads for each one, its not as big a deal or confusing.

JedJackson likes this.
  6. JedJackson

JedJackson Crossing the Road

Jul 6, 2016
    NW Washington state
    Something in between sounds good to me. 5 to 10, maybe, at most. One post at a time would be okay but more work than is necessary. All 50 would get confusing and overload a lot of slower computers out there, like mine.

drumstick diva and Thund3rWang95 like this.
  7. Frazzemrat1

Frazzemrat1 Free Ranging

May 8, 2017
    Eastern Connecticut
    LOL Exactly

drumstick diva and Thund3rWang95 like this.
  8. Thund3rWang95

Apr 4, 2018
    Clifton, ME
    Ok. Sounds good. Thanks for the tips! I'll do it by breed I suppose. That way 5/6 chickens per post. Only downfall...all the same colors lol

drumstick diva and Frazzemrat1 like this.
  9. Thund3rWang95

Apr 4, 2018
    Clifton, ME
    So after cleaning and hanging out with everyone...I'm pretty sure I got alot more roos than I first expected. Seeing lots of Combs and some already starting to pink up...I'll wait another week or two before getting pics and asking again!

drumstick diva likes this.
  10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    :caf waiting for photos

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: