new to byc, I have a hen near death

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jonilynn, Oct 17, 2014.

1. jonilynn

jonilynn New Egg

Oct 17, 2014
    I have a hen who has been pecked to near death. Her back end has been chewed almost off. I pulled her out of the pen, spooned her some water. Yesterday I applied bluekote, today well she's been victimized. . Don't know if there's hope for her, the wounds are open and raw.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. Do you know if she was being bullied, or that she may have suffered a prolapsed vent that may have caused the others to peck at her prolapse? She needs to be isolated, and her vent area needs to be cleaned with a disinfecting soap or liquid such as betadine or hibiclens and water. Plain antibiotic ointment such as Neosporin, bacitracin, or Triple Antibiotic may be used when the wound is dry. A lot depends on how alert and active she is. If she is in shock, or lethargic, or not eating and drinking, then she may not make it. She will need to be given fluids, electrolytes would be good, and good protein foods such as egg, feed with water added, and canned tuna is also good. If a vet is possible, you may be able to get some better antibiotics than feed stores offer, and they might be able to repair some of the damage. If you are going to handle this yourself, pictures would be helpful. Do you have any antibiotics at home?

3. jonilynn

jonilynn New Egg

Oct 17, 2014
    Thank you so much for all the information. I followed it, but had to use it on a second hen. Lost the first hen, and yes they were bullied. Separated all the hens 5 ways and have a sick bay. The injured one has been eating drinking and roosting. She has a white substance, think it's poo. The hen seems strong enough to doctor up some now. We also had to put down one of the trouble makers. Wow what a weekend, very stressful. love this site, thanks again. joni

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sorry for your loss. I don't know if these were new hens, or hens from different flocks put together, but it's always best to give them as much room as possible, and to slowly integrate new chickens to one another through some sort of fencing while they become used to each other.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by