New to BYC in Northern California and need a female duck for my brokenhearted drake -- help!

Cynthia Stella

Hatching
6 Years
Feb 25, 2013
Hi Everyone,
Well, sometimes it takes a crisis to get you to do something you've been planning to do forever. We found our little dream farm a few years ago and started raising chickens -- we now have 5 lovelies. A few years ago, we rescued 2 ducks (male and female) from a salvage yard (we like to joke, we went for doors and came home with ducks...) and they've been very happy together ... until yesterday, when Mimi succumbed to a long illness. That leaves Blanco, bereaved duck husband, alone, and he isn't doing well.
Does anyone know where I can find a young female duck (breed open) in the SF Bay Area? I've checked just about everywhere, from feed stores to animal rescue organizations, and of course, Craigslist. Alas, no one has a young adult female available.
I know it won't bring Mimi back, but I'm concerned about Blanco. He's not eating and just stands there calling for her.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks and great to finally be a part of BYC!
Cynthia

Welcome to BYC!!
frow.gif
Glad you joined us!!
welcome-byc.gif

If you want to take a nice drive out to wine and gold country (El Dorado county) I could give you a young Cayuga duck from my flock. It will be a duck rodeo to catch her, though, as my ducks aren't into being handled. Flock population doubled last year when a single duck hatched fourteen ducklings who all survived. Those girls are now laying.

Consider this an alternative if you cannot find a duck locally.

Thank you so much for the suggestion -- I just started a thread in my area with the same message. Hopefully, this will yield something.
And thanks for the welcome!
Cynthia

Thank you Gryeyes, I appreciate your offer! I took the advice from Kansas and posted in my area, and am hoping to hear from someone nearby.
But I will definitely keep you in mind. That part of the State has always been on our to-visit list.
Cynthia

Back
Top Bottom