New to BYC!! Just overcame Poultry Eye Worm parasites in chicks purchased at a large chain feed sto

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Desert Springs, Mar 19, 2013.

1. Desert Springs

Desert Springs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2013
    Utah
    I used BYC in the past for research and information, however have been prompted to join and share some of my 'cluck cluck' experiences. I presently have the basics: Buff Orps, Black Australorps, Ameracaunas (pure and hybrid both), Golden Laced Wyandottes, Barred Rocks, PLUS Welsummers and Cream Legbars.

I have experienced the good and bad as a chicken owner and dealing with the chicken industry. I have recently been requested to educate others on the cause, age of onset, damage, treatment and hatchery which has been carrying and providing chicks for sale in feed stores with Poultry Eye Worms. The cause (short version): diseased cockroaches being eaten by the chickens that then produce eggs that hatch out into worms, which then come out the nostrils and enter the eye. Age of onset: about 8 weeks of age. Damage: the eye appears swollen and is painful to the young chicken which tries in vain to scratch out the worm. Sometimes the young chicken will tear out the eye in frustration. Upon opening the eye lid a large white pus pocket is seen; sometimes the eye lid needs manipulation to move the pus pocket into view. This is caused by the irritation of the worm, which is very, very small!! The worm will continue through the eye and as I observed, cause not only eradication of eye itself but also the poor chicken will start exhibiting neurological problems such as twisting the neck to see objects upside down, problems with walking and roosting, etc. Eventually, after several days or weeks the poor thing succumbs to the parasite. Treatment: A product called VetRx is the only I found that worked. I tried ALL other remedies I had located online and through YouTube. I followed the directions of dosing orally and directly into the affected eye. Each day I found I had to remove the pus pocket and even at times, when the pocket was too large to remove easily, had to break it into pieces with surgical tweezers, then remove. (This is easily the most disgusting thing I've ever had to do with any of my poultry, pets or livestock!!) The eye socket itself I swabbed with VetRx. Out of 34 chicks purchased last fall, only a couple were saved. As they were 8 weeks old when this onset happened, they had already joined my existing flock of pullets and cockerels. This parasite traveled through my healthy young chickens and my beautiful new black Americauna pullet (purchased elsewhere!!) which I had planned to show at the fair. She now only has one eye... no fair shows for her!! I lost many of my previously owned young chicken to this horrid parasite. Hatchery: I'm unsure if I'm allowed to say it by name, but I know that IFA (Inter Mountain Farmers) feed stores are selling this hatcheries chicks this year!!! I email IFA to alert them of the danger of this hatchery and the chicks I purchased late last fall. IFA's Wayne Scott emailed back claiming this hatchery had 'really cleaned up their act'. His exact words!!

My infected chicks were purchased near September 2012. To 'kill' this problem the hatchery would have had to destroy all poultry and ALL cockroaches, and bring in new breeding stock within 5 months to have chicks selling in the local feed store as I saw last week!! IFA's Wayne Scott mentioned they had other hatcheries they can purchased from, so why haven't they??

I just want everyone to avoid the heartache, stress and loss caused by this AND to get educated on this damaging parasite that virtually is unknown to many. Even my vets weren't aware of it or even heard of it.

If I'm allowed to mention the hatchery by name I hope the moderator informs me as such, as it seems the feed store that I grew up with, and found in every large and small town throughout Utah and Idaho is placing money before their customers, and willing to take the chance with everybody else's already existing poultry.

2. Megan Amber

Megan Amber Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2013
    Thank You for posting this! It is very helpful and makes me wonder....

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC.

4. missnu01

missnu01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2012
    I think as this is a forum you are supposed to out the scheisters, by name or otherwise. I mean don't go around bashing people for no reason, but it seems sane and reasonable to tattle on whoever would let this kind of thing happen.

5. Megan Amber

Megan Amber Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2013
    I second that!

6. Desert Springs

Mar 19, 2013
    Utah
    thanks Megan, missnu01 and sourland!!.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2013
  7. Desert Springs

Mar 19, 2013
    Utah
    Good as it's the most awful thing I personally have had to deal with amongst all my critters!! Don't want others to share in that horrible experience!!

8. missnu01

missnu01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2012
    I have no idea where my chicks I got at TSC came from this year, but so far I've had 0 issues with any of them...knock on wood. I have an order coming from cackle hatchery on May 1st, and I can't wait. I hear nothing but good things about cackle.

9. Desert Springs

Mar 19, 2013
    Utah
    You can ask which hatchery the chicks come from, usually they will have a breed poster to pick from when ordering. That it what alerted me to this local feed store and who they were using this year.

Cackle is awesome!!! Just had a neighbor who received 15 Speckled Sussex from them last week. I used them a couple years ago.

10. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Desert Spring, and [​IMG]! Great to have you here. Sorry about your ordeal. Good luck to you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by