new to byc. longtime lurker.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by HiddenChickens, Mar 21, 2015.

1. HiddenChickens

HiddenChickens Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2015
    illinois
    Hello everybody!

Background:
    I forced my mom into letting me take in old chickens from my neighbors as a kid. I enioyed them despite their poor production and my lack of experience. They were all named Fred followed by a number. Fred 7 was my fav! Now that i have my own home, i enjoy gardening and other self sufficiency hobbies. Getting back into chickens is just the next logical step. Plus its cheep entertainment :lol: As my username name implies, these chickens are hidden. No livestock permitted in town.

Current chickens:
    I purchased 10 pullets from my local tractor supply. They could not tell me the breed. They look like buff orphingtons to me. Im excited just to have some chicks. I might go back for some rhode island reds or black austrolaups.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2015
  2. HiddenChickens

HiddenChickens Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2015
    illinois
    [​IMG]

3. mymilliefleur

mymilliefleur Keeper of the Flock

Nov 4, 2014
    East Tennessee.
    [​IMG] Hello and Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]
    Glad you decided to join. There is tons of information on here, so I'm sure you'll find answers to all your questions. Sounds like you are enjoying your chicken adventure! Your chickies are adorable. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! Congratulations :celebrate You have some lovely chicks there, very cute! Wishing you the very best of luck with them and be sure to ask any questions you may have everyone here to help and very friendly. Enjoy your new babies and BYC :frow

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

6. JenM412

JenM412 New Egg

Mar 21, 2015
    Hi hiddenchickens, I also bought my girls from tractor supply (now 3 years ago ) and I think mine are orphingtons too.

7. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] I'm glad you joined our "flock!"

If you post some photos of your chicks without the interference of the red heat lamp, we should be able to identify them for you.

8. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided join to our flock. A lot of us were lurkers before joining. :eek:) X2 on posting the pics without the red heat lamp. You should definitely consider getting some of those Black Australorps if they are still available and if you have enough space for the extra chickens. They are a wonderful breed; extremely hardy, calm and gentle (my children and grandchildren made lap pets of ours), and the best layers of the standard, brown egg laying breeds. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your chicks.

9. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC![​IMG] I'm glad you joined us.

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Black Australrorps are well worth going back for. Please have a backup plan - there is always a neighbor or two that get a lot of pleasure of turning chicken folks in when chickens are not allowed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by