New to BYC - northern Indiana

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by weezerfish, Mar 2, 2016.

1. weezerfish

weezerfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2016
    NE Indiana
    Hey all,
    We've been contemplating starting with chickens for a couple years now but want to make sure we're ready. I think this is our year, so we're looking really hard at some of the pre-fab coops you can get at farm stores. Just want to be sure that our first big step is a good one. Already browsed some of the resources on BYC and its been super helpful. Looking forward to learning more and having farm fresh eggs this summer!

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. Click on 'The Learning Center' located at the top of the page. Then go to the forums, study them, ask questions, plan, and you will be set to successfully establish your flock. Good luck.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to the BYC flock. You also may want to subscribe to your state thread - just put the name in the search box and it will come up.

4. weezerfish

Mar 2, 2016
    NE Indiana
    Thanks for the tip DD! Found it and introduced myself there as well.

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

6. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice already so I'll just say hello!

All the best
    CT

7. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft!

[​IMG]
    There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to join the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around the run.

8. N F C

N F C Happy T-Day! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

There are reviews on some pre-fab coops from members that have purchased them, you might want to take a look:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/products/category/coops-runs-housing

Be sure the manufacture hasn't overstated the number of chickens that will be comfortable in a pre-fab coop...that seems to be a common complaint with them.

Good luck and have fun!

9. weezerfish

Mar 2, 2016
    NE Indiana
    Based on some of the info I've found here on rules of thumb for size, I'm thinking the one I was looking at was more suited to hold 2-3 birds instead of the 4-6 that they're labelled for. Looking like I may just bite the bullet and build one from scratch. Lots of nice designs on this site for ideas.

10. N F C

N F C Happy T-Day! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Excellent idea...you can build one bigger and configure it just the way you like...and it may even cost you less!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by