New to BYC - Question on 3 Wall coop versus 4 Wall coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by huckleberry acres, Jul 18, 2011.

1. huckleberry acres

huckleberry acres Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2011
    South Alabama
    My first post as I am a new member on BYC.

Have any of you that live in the Deep South ever used an open 3 wall coop instead of a 4 wall coop?

I am in South Alabama near the Gulf Coast and I wonder about the nights (and Days) here for 6-7 months out of the year. Since it is 74-80 degrees at 10:00 at night and the humidity is 80-90%, would a 3 wall coop with windows and a vented roof be better than a 4 wall coop? I am thinking about an 8'x8' coop (whether 3 wall or 4 wall). If it is 4 wall, it will be slightly elevated to allow the chickens to get under for added cooler areas.

I haven't built it yet, but it will be part of a run with buried fencing under the entire run (12' x 24') and I am planning on having a 12'x12' area (including the coop) under tin so there is a god bit of shade and dry areas as we get a lot of rain. Since the coop will be raised if it is a 4 wall, the chickens will have access to be under the coop as well as the other areas under tin.

Since it does not get that cold here, would a 3 wall coop be sufficient where I could put up a tarp or roofing felt on the really cold nights if needed? I did not intend to close the pop door at night to lock them in since I will have it reinforced as well as I can with layers of fencing and hardware cloth.
    Thanks for your insights.

2. TheJuan-n-Only

TheJuan-n-Only Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2010
    Tampa
    [​IMG] from Tampa FLA

Here in FLA heat is much more of a concern than cold. What do we have 2 nights a yrs of really cold temps? lol So I opted for a 3 sided coop/run combo and I even added extra ventilation to 2 of those 3 walls. There is no way my birds could be in a 4 walled coop with this heat!!!!

Here is a link to my page...hope this helps!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=67489-dh1-coops-page

3. huckleberry acres

huckleberry acres Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2011
    South Alabama
    TheJuan-n-Only,
    Thanks for your reply. I like what you did with your coop. That is very similar to what I had in mind. I might have hardware cloth under the roost inside the coop and no floor so I can rake up to poop from the ground.

4. MomKat

MomKat Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2011
    Mobile, AL
    I am also in South Alabama, and I have a raised, 4 wall coop. However, one of the walls flips down, effectively making it a 3 wall coop for our hot, humid summers. There are ventilation windows (with flip up covers for winter) on two of the three remaining walls, too. No complaints so far!

5. TheJuan-n-Only

TheJuan-n-Only Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2010
    Tampa
    Quote:Actually I put sand in there so it's easier to scoop the raised coop than it would be to rake under the coop (all than bending and all! lol) I'm really happy I used sand...I scoop everything right up!!!

Good luck!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by