New to BYC Starting out by hatching!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by CraziChic, Oct 15, 2013.

1. CraziChic

CraziChic Out Of The Brooder

Oct 15, 2013
    In the Middle of Nowhere
    Hi
    I need help hatching some chicks. I made an incubator, but it is small. For the first 4 days I carried them around on myself, so they might be scrambled. I candle them, and I see nothing happening in the two i carried around yet. The other 4 are only 2 day old incubated. I have 6 in the incubator. Again I am new to BYC and to chickens. I don't even have any chickens yet. I will be buying them around next Saturday, but I wanted to try and hatch some. Thanks!

2. countrygoddess

countrygoddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Yeah, probably not a good idea to carry around the eggs. Why did you do that, can I ask? How long have all the eggs been in the incubator? What temp and humidity have you been keeping it at? By day 3 you should see spidery veining beginning to happen. It can be harder to see in darker eggs. If you check again on day 7 you should see a black dot that is the embryo and often, it is moving about.

1 person likes this.
  3. CraziChic

Oct 15, 2013
    In the Middle of Nowhere
    I was incubating them while carrying them.[​IMG] I'll look and see if I can see what you are saying. The temp is about 98.5, and I have no idea about the humidity... I don't have a hydrometer, and they are too expensive. If somebody knows how to make one or something? I don't have enough money to buy one.[​IMG] I'm just using a thermometer they gave me at the place where I go to get educated.[​IMG] I use a heat lamp to heat it, and I'll try to put pics, but idk if i'll be able to.[​IMG]

if I gave too much info about myself, plz don't ban my account, I really need to know what people think and what I need to know to hatch the chicks.

4. CraziChic

Oct 15, 2013
    In the Middle of Nowhere
    Ok, so I have six eggs in the incubator. 4 of the eggs, including one of the two that i carried around, are growing. The air cell and the dark part gets bigger on these 4 every day. The other two eggs I'm not sure if they are growing, because one is freckled and I can't see inside very well, and the other has a floating yolk and the air cell doesn't look bigger. [​IMG] None have veins yet (that I can see), but the light I'm using, isn't very strong, and it isn't made for candling.

5. CraziChic

Oct 15, 2013
    In the Middle of Nowhere
    They are all growing, Its confirmed. The air cell is bigger every day, and the embryo covers more part of the egg. Something could still go wrong, do plz stick with me. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by