New to BYC w/ 4 Dominickers (look like Plymouths) and have questions!

cgruters

Hatching
7 Years
Sep 10, 2012
Stafford, VA
I am new to BYC and have been browsing the site for a few weeks now, with this being my first post.

I have four Dominickers all hens. They are in a coop with a fence around the coop. I had them in there for a week feeding them and giving them lots of treats.

My questions are every time I open the roof up to let them come out they never come out. I have to physically get them out and then by night fall, instead of going back to there coop they just lay down in a corner by the fence.

Anyone have any hints on what I can do?

welcome-byc.gif

How old are your chickens? Chickens are naturally afraid of new situations. If you have only had them a week, they are still adjusting to the new surroundings.

Well my dad dropped off the coop and the 4 hens to my wife and I.. when he did he said they are just about laying age. He gave us organic feed and that is about all I know. He also said they can eat all our table scaps, especially greens.

I really just need some advice. I have had them since the weekend of September 7th. So its been well over a week.

I just want them to be happy and lay some eggs. They seem happy. They play in the morning by hopping and jumping but thats about the most excitement I get out of them.

do they have like a front door to go out or do they have to kinda fly to get out. you say you lift the roof... maybe they don't understand the concept of having to go up to get out maybe they need a way to just walk out or walk back in.

I will post pictures when I get home, but essentially they have to fly up and get to a ramp that they can walk down. They do have wood joist to help them get up and then out. How can I show them? Is it better to have a hole in the side?

sounds to me like they need a door of their own--If they can't see out of the box into the surrounding area (that it's safe ) theyre prob. afraid to just fly into the unknown. Mine have their own trap door which I open in the morning and they always come to the door and look out/around before makiong their way out. Wouldn't you? :)

They can see out... on the front of the coop they have a wired enclosed area they can roam in..

I was hoping not to have to cut a hole in it.. but it makes sense. The coop is on wheels but I want to let them roam.. I am only worried about the Carin Terrier (dog) getting ahold of one of them.

Any recommendations on a good feed?

Back
Top Bottom