New to BYC with question of chicken breed and egg color

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by HeidiK, Dec 29, 2016.

1. HeidiK

HeidiK New Egg

Dec 28, 2016
    Hello from the pseudo country side of the N Dallas area where I share my "farmette" with my husband, 4 girls, 3 dogs, 1 pig, 9 chickens, turtles, and a bearded dragon. Im looking forward to adding a llama and 4 goats (each named for one of my kids as I hope to deal with my soon to be empty nest).
    I have been addicted to BYC for quite a while but only now made an account in hopes of answering a few questions.
    To start I am hoping someone can help me identify the breed of my chickens.
    My newest additions just started laying this week. One of them is laying light blue to grey possibly light olive eggs which doesn't make sense to me since I thought I purchased white Leghorns and Dominiques. Do I have a different breed or is there something wrong with my chickens or their eggs?
    Included is a picture of the eggs with a white piece of paper for comparison and pics of my little ladies. Most of the brown eggs are from my red stars that I have had for a year.
    Any ideas are welcome. Thanks for the help and great site. [​IMG][/IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Hello Heidi, welcome.

Where did you get your chickens, especially the Dominique? A hatchery, feed store, or individual? The comb is hiding behind the wire but that looks more like a pea comb than the rose comb a Dominique should have. I think it is an EE.

Basic egg shell color genetics are pretty easy, you either have white, brown, blue, or green eggs. The actual shade of brown or green can get really complex, but the base colors are simple.

3. HeidiK

HeidiK New Egg

Dec 28, 2016
    Thanks for the reply. I bought them as day old chicks from tractor supply company. I agree about the comb. I thought it was small because they are only 4 months old.
    Perhaps this is a better picture. Ild get a better one but I'm currently in a cast and can't get out there.
    What do you think of the white girls. [​IMG]

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I don’t have any rose combed chickens but that sure doesn’t look like a rose comb to me. It doesn’t look like a pure pea comb either, but I bet if you look at it from straight on you’ll see a wide spot or bump in it. That’s typical for my Easter Egger’s that are not pure for the pea comb. Those combs can look pretty wonky, a cross between pea and single. While the pea comb does not have to be present for the pullet to lay a colored egg it’s a pretty good indication.

I think someone at Tractor Supply or the hatchery they got the chicks from sent you and EE that looks a lot like a Dominique.

5. HeidiK

HeidiK New Egg

Dec 28, 2016
    Thanks so much!!!

6. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Pretty eggs and birds!

7. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under HeidiK [​IMG] Welcome!

I hope you enjoy BYC. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

8. HeidiK

HeidiK New Egg

Dec 28, 2016
    Definately. My addiction to BYC is part info and part comradery. It's fun to finally participate. My family is caring for our ladies while I am non mobile leaving me more time to "research" all things chicken.
    I totally understand why ridgerunner thinks I have an Easter egger but I can't find a picture of Easter eggers or Ameraucana that looks like my girls. Could this be due to cross breeding or possibly are a different breed

9. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, HeidiK, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined our flock! Good luck to you and your flock!

10. HeidiK

HeidiK New Egg

Dec 28, 2016
    Thanks redsoxs
    Do you know how to find my local forums that are currently active

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by