New to BYC

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by A love like mom, May 13, 2016.

1. A love like mom

A love like mom New Egg

May 13, 2016
    Minnesota
    Hi fellow BYC members. A little about me: It's been too many years to count since I last raised chicks; though, I have to admit, when I last raised them, it was actually our hens who did the raising while I just enjoyed playing with them. My husband and I are now proud parents of 41 chicks with no hens to do the raising for us. They are all about 6-1/2 weeks old already (they hatched the day after we were married and arrived three days later) and are all supposed to be layers; although, I'm beginning to wonder if we may have a roo or two in our group with how much further along their comb and waddles are than the others. I'll never understand how accurate these people are who do the sexing. I'm very impressed with how well they do with newly hatched chicks and pretty much nothing yet to go on. It's been so fun watching our chicks as they've been going through their awkward changes. I'm not completely sure what all we have yet (we ordered both ornamental and brown layers) but I believe once they're all finished feathering out (we do have a few that still have some fuz going on), we'll have a better idea. I'm sure if I could get them all to sit still long enough for a picture, many of you would already know what each of them are and could answer that for us. I do know a few of them that are obvious, like our one Speckled Houdan and our three Partridge Cochins. The rest I'm not 100% certain yet. I believe we have one Dominique, possibly a couple Barred Rocks, and a Cuckoo Marans. These chicks (and possibly a roo) are so hard for me to figure out since they are so much alike. I know I've heard it said that babies don't come with handbooks and well, neither do these little ones. So, I'm looking forward to learning along the way both through both our little chicks as well as from all of you.

2. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Hello [​IMG] and Welcome to BYC!

I'm so glad you joined! I would first advise you stopping by the: https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center for helpful links and articles. Also you could post in the "What Breed? and Gender?" forum and I'm sure someone will be able to help sex and figure out the breed :). If you have any questions feel free to ask!

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC and congratulations on your recent marriage and new flock.

4. A love like mom

A love like mom New Egg

May 13, 2016
    Minnesota
    Thank you! I'll be sure to check out those other areas once I can get some pictures of the chicks in question to post.

5. A love like mom

A love like mom New Egg

May 13, 2016
    Minnesota
    Thank you, sourland!

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Congratulations on your marriage and Welcome to Backyard chickens. Post photos at "what breed or gender is this," to get informative answers.

7. A love like mom

A love like mom New Egg

May 13, 2016
    Minnesota
    Thank you, drumstick diva. I'll do that.

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

9. A love like mom

A love like mom New Egg

May 13, 2016
    Minnesota
    Thank you, BantamFan4Life!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by