1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New to BYC

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by HenLeia, Aug 31, 2016.

1. HenLeia

HenLeia Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2016
    Oregon
    Hi all, our family just started keeping chickens this spring. We first got 4 chicks from Wilco at the end of May (Buff Orp, Barred Rock, New Jersey Giant, and Cuckoo Marans). Building the coop was a learning experience. They are all doing well. Now we have received 9 more chicks from GFF (3 Bielefelder hens (1 free),2 Cream Legbar hens and 2 cocks (1 free), and 2 Swedish Flowers. I have to say we have a bad case of chicken math[​IMG][​IMG]

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you. Sounds like you have a very colorful flock! Chicken math gets us all at some point.

3. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    [​IMG] Wow! That quite a collection of chicken breeds! Good luck and have fun with them!

4. HenLeia

Jul 14, 2016
    Oregon
    I have noticed that one of our new chicks got some grow gel on her back and it has dried hard. Do I need to worry about this? How would you get it off her feathers?

5. beaverdood

beaverdood New Egg

Aug 8, 2016
    Hi HenLeia.

Welcome to the wonderful world of chickens! I am also a new chicken farmer this Spring. My wife and I have had fun learning from this forum. Coincidentally, we also have a similar mixture of hens. My favorite so far is our New Jersey Giant... aka "Tiny".. She's so big and pretty with a hint of green. Good luck!

6. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Hello from Kansas, HenLeia, and :welcome. Happy you joined our community! Sounds like a nice flock you have going. Best wishes to you!

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I think if you dampen the gro gel spot, you should be able to wash off. Are you sure it's gro gel, sometimes hatcheries mark them with a color to represent breed or sex.

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

9. HenLeia

Jul 14, 2016
    Oregon
    Thanks everyone for the welcomes! I did wet the spot down and the chick was able to clean its down/feathers itself. All are healthy, active and eating lots. Much more active than our previous chicks. Also much more pecky, our previous 4 are like sisters and these guys are playing chicken with trying to peck each other's eye.[​IMG]kinda funny and scary to watch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by