New to BYC

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by AndrewB, Nov 15, 2016.

1. AndrewB

AndrewB New Egg

Nov 15, 2016
    Pisgah Forest, NC
    Good evening folks. My name is Andrew Im 27 and I live in North Carolina. I do not currently have any chickens but am looking to get some soon and hopefully not have to wait until spring. Im going to be raising them for the church I attend and am currently awaiting some funding as well as saving on my own to invest. I have a coop built that should easily house 20+ chickens. Looking forward to getting to know you all better and to start my poultry adventures :D

2. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Hi Andrew, it's nice to have you here! If you haven't already done so, check out the Learning Center...there are a lot of very good articles there that will get your poultry adventure off on the right foot.

Good luck to you, make yourself at home here!

3. AndrewB

AndrewB New Egg

Nov 15, 2016
    Pisgah Forest, NC
    Thanks. I'll be sure to check that out. I've been submersing myself in everything chicken for the past month or so. Can't wait to get started

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi, Andrew and welcome to BYC - great that you have joined us. I wish you all the best with your new venture into keeping chickens. You won't regret it!

You may wish to consider joining your state thread as it will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area - https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you

All the best
    CT

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Very nice to meet you Andrew. Welcome to the Backyard chickens flock. You may also want to visit the coops section & predator threads. Rule of thumb is to allow 4-5 sq. feet per bird in the coop excluding nest boxes and roosts. The outdoor run should have 10 sq. feet per bird. Chicken wire ONLY keeps chickens inside. It does NOTHING to keep predators out.

6. SleepyHollowFnF

SleepyHollowFnF Out Of The Brooder

What kind of chickens do you have in mind? if any?

7. SleepyHollowFnF

SleepyHollowFnF Out Of The Brooder

it does NOTHING? I was under the impression it will keep out raccoons and other small predators but never heard it didn't do anything. Can you clarify exactly what you mean?

Thanks!

8. AndrewB

AndrewB New Egg

Nov 15, 2016
    Pisgah Forest, NC
    I'm pretty sure the lady I'm working with is wanting to go with Buff Orpingtons and after some research it seems like not a bad idea for getting started

9. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, SleepyHollow, and :welcome! Great to have you here. I think what Diva is saying is that if a determined predator, raccoon size or larger, wants to get through chicken wire, it will. Raccoons will chew through the wire as will coyotes. Additionally, a raccoon can reach through the holes, snatch a chicken and actually eat a chicken alive from the other side of the fence. What a way to go. So, that's why it's generally considered that chicken wire is great for keeping chickens in...not so good for keeping predators out. Hardware cloth (welded wire) is considered far superior. Best wishes!

10. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas

Greetings from Kansas, Andrew, and :welcome! Great to have you in our community! Best wishes and thank you for joining BYC! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by