1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New to BYC

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by artistsfarm, Nov 4, 2013.

1. artistsfarm

artistsfarm New Egg

Oct 16, 2013
    Hi everyone this is artistsfarm in Arkansas, tell you all a little about us. My wife and I are both professional wildlife artist and I am a world class carvers of birds and fish as well as a painter. We are just getting ready to start our coop. We are thinking about getting Barred Rocks as our layers. We are also going to organic garden our own vegetables, and raise own eggs. If anyone has a better breed for layers that are winter hardy let us know.

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us! The Barred Plymouth Rock is a great, hardy breed for egg production, but it is not the only one. Other good breeds include Wyandottes, Rhode Island Reds, sex-links (either red or black), Orpingtons, and Australorps. The leghorn is a real egg machine; however, it isn't that hardy in cold weather.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome to BYC! BantamLover21 has some good suggestions, Barred Rocks are a very nice breed. So far as brown egg laying ability, the red sex links (Red Stars, Golden Comets, ISA Browns etc) usually get my vote. Hendersons Chicken Breed chart compares a lot of common breeds. http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html#j

5. chickenboy190

chickenboy190 Overrun With Chickens

May 31, 2013
    Ohio
    Welcome! Glad you joined BYC! :~D

6. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

7. petrel

petrel Chats with Chickens

Welcome to BYC! Once you are settled in, I hope you would consider sharing a few photos of your work.

I understand that you can't go wrong with Plymouth Barred Rocks. I have those and Rhode Island Reds as my core laying team, but mine are still young.

8. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC! I, too, would love to see your work! :)

9. All Henned Up

All Henned Up Muffs or Tufts

Welcome and enjoy!
    Steve, :frow

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by