1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

new to BYC,

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by cr machine, Dec 30, 2013.

1. cr machine

cr machine New Egg

Dec 30, 2013
    Eastern Pennsylvania
    I currently have 14 Plymouth rock barred chikens, 1 rooster, they are about 18 weeks old, I have switched them from mash to layer pellets, and have been told they will need additional lighting in coop over the winter months for proper laying. Is this true? And if
    so can I use led lights? I Would set up with solar panel and led would use allot less. When should I expect to see eggs? Thanks for anty and all input.

2. Farmgirl1000

Farmgirl1000 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2013
    [​IMG] Welcome to the Flock! Glad to have you here!

Last edited: Dec 30, 2013
  3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG] to BYC!

You don't want to start in with the layer feed until they are laying or getting ready to lay. The calcium is hard on the kidneys of young birds and roosters.

Poultry need about 14 to 16 hours of light to keep them laying, although some do lay throughout the winter reguardless of how much light is available, but at a slower rate of lay. Depends on the breed. You will have to experiment with what type of lighting will keep them laying. It is best to turn the lights on a few hours before sun up and turn them back on again a few hours after sunset. Never leave them on 24 hours a day. The birds need to sleep.

I feel that it is not good to force new laying birds into lay until they have their egg laying machines in gear. So letting them lay for awhile before forcing them to lay. Can cause laying issues.

Great to have you aboard and enjoy BYC!

4. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

Not all pullets start that early - heritage birds often can take 26 weeks or longer to get going. Additional light will help them start laying but only if they are at the right age. Best to add some light in the morning with a timed light so that they get a gradual dusk to put themselves to bed, usually 12 hours a day total is enough to get them going.

5. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow Welcome To BYC and Happy Holidays!

6. cr machine

cr machine New Egg

Dec 30, 2013
    Eastern Pennsylvania
    Thanks for all the info, we are brand new to having chickens, we got them as day old. As far as switching to the layer pellets we just went off the recommendations on the bags. I'm sure we will have more questions along the way.

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC - day length is gradually increasing - your pullets are still a little young. In another month and a half, they will lay on their own.

8. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to Backyard Chickens!

9. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by