New to BYC

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by hannahc, Aug 20, 2014.

1. hannahc

hannahc New Egg

Aug 20, 2014
    Oregon
    Hi all, I'm new to the site. I was drawn here because I'm starting a journey through uncharted territory. I'm hoping to start breeding chickens and am wanting to meet people who have had success with this. I'm looking forward to meeting some new friends who love chickens :)

2. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Do you have any particular breed in mind?

3. hannahc

hannahc New Egg

Aug 20, 2014
    Oregon
    I have ameraucauna hens and recently purchased a rare isbar rooster (although I may have to part ways with him) I didn't know that my area had strict rules about roosters, so I'm trying to find him a place to stay until I move (hopefully soon). My questions are mostly about brooding. I have a momma duck who, despite not yet being a layer, appears to be broody. I'm hoping I can get her to hatch my chicks, but I realize that may be asking for more than she can handle. So I need to explore other options. I have already looked at brooders online, but they are expensive, and am looking for alternatives. Any suggestions??

4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    I've brooded lots of chicks, but I don't really not much about ducks (I've had a few years ago), although I have to admit that ducklings are the ultimate in cute. I'm not sure how similar brooding requirements for ducklings are to those of chicks, or how good a foster mother a duck would make for chicks. I would suggest posting this question on our duck section at https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/42/ducks. I'm sure our duck experts there would have no problem answering any questions you may have regarding your duck. Good luck with your flock.

5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

This is the place to be when you own poultry! You will learn as you go. Many of us started this adventure in the dark, but don't worry. Your chickens will have you trained up in to time!! [​IMG]

Enjoy all your poultry adventures and welcome to our flock!

6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
  7. BayBay Peepers

BayBay Peepers Overrun With Chickens

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Welcome to BYC!

Any chance you could let a hen go broody in case it doesn't work with you duck?

8. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

9. hannahc

hannahc New Egg

Aug 20, 2014
    Oregon
    I would be ecstatic if one of my hens went broody, I just don't know if they will. When my momma duck walks, she chirps and checks behind her incessantly. As if she's herding and guiding a bunch of babies. That's what makes me think she would be broody. And I've read that ducks will sit on anything, it's doesn't have to be duck eggs. But I really like to talk to people who have actually done these things to get better and more accurate pointers. :)

10. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

I don't have experience having hens/ducks brood eggs, but I wish you luck with your broody duck! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by