New to BYC!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by MommasHens, Jan 19, 2015.

1. MommasHens

MommasHens New Egg

Jan 19, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    Hi. I'm new here! My husband, 15 year old daughter and I got into having chickens this past summer when a beautiful, friendly, sweet Brown Leghorn hen wandered into our yard one day. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw her! We caught her and walked the neighborhood with her in a cat carrier, trying to find her family. She'd obviously been handlled by peeps because she calmly sat in the carrier the whole time. :) We put her in a friend's empty coop and named her Nugget. (Yes, we have a crazy sense of humor!) My avatar is a picture of her on the day we found her. We never did find her owners and she desperately needed some friends so we added Mira (pronounced meer-uh), a Barred Rock, and Laney, a Rhode Island Red. Unfortunately, Nugget was killed by dogs while at our friend's house, so we bought a small coop and moved Mira and Laney to our house as quickly as we could. We were so heartbroken. We have since built an 8'x15' pen, using pvc pipe and fittings for the frame and doors. It looks a little funky but it works! Mira got sick and developed quite a limp so we divided the pen in two to keep Laney from attacking her. We're currently looking for two more hens to put in with Laney.

I was raised on a farm where we had Bantams and Rhodies, but I was young and don't remember much about them. So thank you for this wonderful website! I'm learning so much here.

:)

2. Twistedfeather

Twistedfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    Oregon
    Welcome to BYC. That's so cool that you found a chicken one day. I mean some people find dogs but why never a chicken?
    Are there any breeds of chicken you have in mind?

3. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    You must have got my vibes when you named her nugget. That was one of mine. the one that lived 13 years. I also used as names, TYSON PURDUE JENNY, when i ran out of chicken related , then I went different directions. As for bantams............... they are my FAVORITES since I keep chickens as pets, The smaller the better. I don't eat my pets, only their eggs. Of the 7 I currently have, most are seasoned citizen status. (old). and only the 2 young RIR lay eggs. Get yourself a few banty hens. They are fun to have. Don't eat much as well as poop much. Free range they live off the land.

OH YES AND [​IMG]

4. Americano Blue

Americano Blue Mush on!

Apr 14, 2014
    Hello Spring
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC. I love your avatar!

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

6. MommasHens

MommasHens New Egg

Jan 19, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    Hi. I'm not sure which breeds we'd like to get. My hubby wants a fancy one that lays colored eggs, I'd like another RIR or Barred Rock, and my daughter likes likes the fluffier ones. :)

7. MommasHens

MommasHens New Egg

Jan 19, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    Hi cavemanrich, i love YOUR names! What a riot!!

8. MommasHens

MommasHens New Egg

Jan 19, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    ... and "Amen!!" to "God's not dead" I love that movie!

9. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

How egg-citing you found a chicken!

If your husband is wanting colorful eggs, I would recommend Easter eggers, marans and ameracanas. But buff orpingtons are my tavorite breed! They are sweet, calm and affectionate. They may brown, large eggs.

10. MommasHens

MommasHens New Egg

Jan 19, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    We have family in Portland, Oregon. We usually go up for Christmas. For the first time in my life I had to find a chicken sitter last December!! LOL. Our neighbor took care of them for us and even checked on them during high winds. She's a jewel!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by