New to BYC!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by LaurenR498, Jan 21, 2015.

1. LaurenR498

LaurenR498 New Egg

Jan 21, 2015
    Hello all!
    Wanted to introduce myself. I'm new to BYC, I'm just outside of Chicago. My city has just approved a 1 year pilot program for backyard chickens. I'm very excited this is something I wanted to do for a long time. I will be looking for support and help throughout the year. Hopefully my fellow permit holders and myself can be great chicken owners and prove to our city gov't that BYC are a wonderful thing.

2. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to our flock. How exciting that you're going to be able to get chickens! Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Do you have any breed preference?

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Have you stopped by our learning center yet? Lots of good articles on getting started with chickens, building the coop, raising the chicks and keeping your adult flock happy, healthy and safe from predators...https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Make yourself at home here and feel free to ask any questions you may have. Welcome to our flock!

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us!

5. LaurenR498

LaurenR498 New Egg

Jan 21, 2015
    I have a few in mind, but for the pilot program I decided to rent chickens that way I won't get too attached if the permits aren't approved permanently.

6. LaurenR498

LaurenR498 New Egg

Jan 21, 2015
    I have checked the learning center. Lots of great articles. I'm glad I have these forums to come to, I also have an aunt with a flock as well!

7. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you.

We're happy to help in any way we can! Good luck with your future flock.

8. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Interesting. I've never known anyone who rented chickens before. Who do you rent from and what breeds can you rent?

9. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

10. LaurenR498

LaurenR498 New Egg

Jan 21, 2015
    There are a few farms that I heard of in Michigan that rent chickens. I'm not sure what breeds they work with yet, but they deliver the chickens, coop, and supplies to your home in the spring and come back in the fall to pick everything up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by