new to caring for ducklings

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by trouthat, Apr 4, 2009.

1. trouthat

trouthat Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2008
    I recently got one duckling that I dont know what bread it is. But it is very yellow. and i dont know what age it is. We had some old chicken starter that was kind of like smashed up gray pellets. It was eating it but we ran out of it and we cant find it at any store. We got other chicken starter but it doesnt seem to like it. I think it might be because the food has corn in it. Any answers would be really helpful.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2009
  2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I raise all my call ducklings on Purina medicated Start & Grow.

3. trouthat

Jun 9, 2008
    Whats a call duckling?

4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Calls are a bantam duck.

Here's one of my favorite girls.

[​IMG]

5. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    If it is all yellow with no markings... it could very well be a Pekin.

NON medicated feed for ducks.... and make sure they have plenty of fresh water also as they need to drink as they eat or they can choke.

Good luck with your duckling [​IMG] You might consider getting it a friend as they can get very depressed when alone. If nothing else a stuffed animal to snuggle with.

6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

You can feed them medicated feed...as long as the only medication in it is Amprolium (amprol). The old time feeds had other medications in it that weren't good for waterfowl. Medicated is all I use for both chicks and ducklings.

7. trouthat

Jun 9, 2008
    I didnt see any duck startr at my feed store in gravette, Ar. But I didnt look very hard either... We keep it with baby chicks at night and in the house in the day on the weekends when we are home.

8. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    That's the first time I have seen that info posted [​IMG] Thanks for that... will make a mental note for the future. So is it even common for medicated feed to have other medications in them then?

9. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:I don't think it is anymore. I can only speak for Purina tho with 100% certainy since their Medicated Start and Grow is what I feed. I did look at Orscheln's "house brand" once and it only had Amprolium in it. I post it everytime someone asks about feeding ducklings.

10. trouthat

Jun 9, 2008
    where do you get the purina food at? Are there any places in Arkansas maybe?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by