New to chick raising... more accurately drafted

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by 00 Turok, Mar 10, 2012.

1. 00 Turok

00 Turok Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2012
    Nacogdoches, Tx
    Hi all. Discovered this website after googleing (chicken's life span), so I thought I'd join since I got drafted into raising chickens.

It all started when I found 4 newly hatched peeps on the road back home after work; 4 yellow fuz balls scamping along the shoulder. I stopped to check it out & it was just the 4 baby chickens, no mama, no nest, no eggs, no near by house; just 4 yellow fuzzy peeps... peeping. 2 of them immeadiately rushed toward me & tried to fly into my face when I knelt down. How could I say no. [​IMG]

So I put them in a box, went & bought some chick starter food & took them home. I put some paper in a plastic tub, a towel at one end, a small bowl of filtered water & chick food at the other. I set up a heater with a tray of water in front so the air wont get too dry. &... they went to pecking away at the food & pooping every where. 1 had a hurt foot though. The middle toe was discolored. I think it may have been an internal break.

The next day, after work, I checked on them & found 1 dead, the 2 that rushed at me when I found them almost doubled in size, & the 1 with the hurt foot wasn't walking around at all or eating. [​IMG] I got it to drink some water & eat some chick food I wetted down into a paste, but it look like it wasn't going to make it. It's hurt toe looked worse. I snuggled the little chick until the end.

Now it's 7 days since I found them & the 2 surviving, indescriminant poopers, have trippled in size & are starting to grow genuine feathers. Very energetic little things. It looks like they'll be all white chickens. I've been keeping the room they are in at about 85 + degrees & everything seems A ok with these 2. So I guess I'll start building a fenced in coop for them in the back yard.

Goofy little birds. I feed, water, & hold them every day; yet every day goes like this.

Me: Walks in, looks at birds.
    Birds: Looks at me curiously
    Me: Reach hand in to grab birds so I can clean coop & water.
    Birds: Run around like they are being chased by a fox.
    Me: Clean coop & change water... Hold & pet birds before putting them back in clean coop.
    Birds: Looks at me curiously... again
    Me: Sprinkles chick feed on coop floor.
    Birds: Looks at me curiously some more... then proceeds to pecking at the food.
    Me: Reached hand in to pet birdies... "cute little peeps" [​IMG]
    Birds: Run around like they are being chased by a fox.
    Me: [​IMG] then leaves room... sits down to watch some TV
    Birds: Peeping up a storm as loud as they can.
    Me: Walks back in room, looks at birds
    Birds: Looks at me curiously... then proceeds to pecking at the food again
    Me: [​IMG] because they peep for me when I leave, after running away from me like I was a fox.

My new daily routine.

2. ragerkid2

ragerkid2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Johnstown Pa
    What a great story!!! One thing tho is at the rate of growth your talking about, they sound like meat birds..

3. 00 Turok

00 Turok Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2012
    Nacogdoches, Tx
    I think they are. I don't plant on eating them though. So they can call themselves LUCKY. I'm more of a beef & pork guy anyway.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by