new to chick raising...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by madisonpatti2011, Aug 5, 2011.

1. madisonpatti2011

madisonpatti2011 New Egg

Aug 5, 2011
    Peeps just hatching...peeking out from under mom. I would like to know if, after hatching, is starter feed necessary or will they eat whatever the mother chicken eats. We had peeps a long time ago but they were purchased. We've never had any hatch out in our own henhouse. The group of chickens is in their henhouse and fenced yard for most of the day, then they are set free to roam the property for the last 2 hours before sunset. Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance. [​IMG]

2. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    I would not let them eat layer food. I would switch to a chick starter...mom will be ok eating that for a while. She will also take them out bug hunting if they are free rangers [​IMG] She will teach them how to eat and feed them like roosters feed the hens. It's so cute!

3. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    I agree, don't feed them layer. I heard that too much calcium isn't good for chicks. Have fun with them! [​IMG]

4. madisonpatti2011

madisonpatti2011 New Egg

Aug 5, 2011
    Okay, no layer food. Will get some chick starter and a smaller waterer. Will they be okay with all the other ladies (8) and the rooster that share the henhouse and yard?

5. suki'smom

suki'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    Central Wisconsin
    I had a Black Jersey Giant hen go broody and hatch out a couple little cheepies. I just fed them all chick starter and scratch. She took them all over the property to eat lots of free range goodies and attacked any critter that came close (had my big tom cat running like a scared mouse lol). If your worried that the other chickens will bother them you can separate momma and the cheepies but my momma always made the other chickens keep their distance. Best of luck!

6. Yonaton

Yonaton Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2007
    West TN
    Quote:Now, please justify your answers (I'm curious myself now). Anyone can just say whatever they like, but a decent answer that is helpful *and* informative lets the reader know the person posing that answer actually knows *why* they're posing it, instead of just writing any ol' thing they want and hoping everyone and their pet cocker spaniel will believe it. The spread of ignorance and the 'wrong thing(s)' is how this kind of stuff gets started, and can only go downhill from there (think the little excercise one did in class where the teacher whispered something in the ear of the first kid and that kid had to whisper the *exact* same thing to the next kid, etc, etc until the last kid heard it and that lat kid was to repeat, out loud, what was told to him/her...90% of the time it's barely recognizable from the original).

7. BoltonChicken

BoltonChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Bolton, Mississippi
    I would not let them eat layer food. I would switch to a chick starter

The reason you do not feed chicks under 18 weeks old layer food is that layer food contains calcium which is needed for egg production but can be harmful to the systems of the baby chicks. Chick starter, especially the medicated starter, is formulated for young systems and also requires no grit for digestion. I hope this was descriptive enough, but if you want more information this forum has a great search engine and pages of information can be found on almost all subjects.​

8. Frenchchickens123

Frenchchickens123 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 25, 2010
    I would feed them chick food for at least the first 4 weeks as it provides everything they need at the start. Mine are fed grain with about 15-20% layers and have previously let chicks eat grain from day one, I have noticed though that chicks put on more weight and get bigger and stronger quicker when having a bit of chick food at the beginning. If your hens are on layers I would feed chick food for first 12 weeks then gradually swap to layers. I have previously had young birds on layers from this age with no health issues and my cockeral was always on layers until I swapped for mostly grain diet. Hope this helps

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by