new to chicken farming again

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by DJoe, Apr 19, 2016.

1. DJoe

DJoe Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2016
    Hi...I posted about an hour and a half to two hours ago and have not seen an answer yet so someone must be doing some research in order to answer my question. (That or I'm so tech challenged that I failed to complete the post;-) my question was...is there any good reason NOT to build a coop with a concrete floor? We live in the Pacific North west and it can get very wet here. My concern about concrete is related to dampness and cold. We don't get too cold generally at our location but it has been known to get in the lower teens a few times. I have ordered my chicks and my husband is anxious to get started on the coop. The concrete is his idea but we both would like some confer at ion that it would be workable....thanks again.

2. N F C

N F C dem crazy bones Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
  3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    I did respond with links about 10 minutes ago - not sure whats happened!

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    here it is

Hi DJoe and welcome to BYC - glad that you have joined us. I am not sure about concrete floors, but if you type "concrete flooring for runs" in the search box, you may get some joy. If not, the I'd suggest posting your question on the "Coops and Runs" forum where those with more experience will be able to help you out.

Best wishes

CT

Just done the search - heres the link with threads that may help.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/newsearch?search=concrete+flooring+for+runs

Good luck

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

6. DJoe

DJoe Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2016

7. DJoe

DJoe Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2016
    Thanks so much. The replies were here this morning. I just have to learn how to navigate on the site to find what I need. I'm rather "tech resistant" and get a bit anxious when I don't easily figure things like this site and it's workings out. Appreciate the patience of everyone who is more tech savy. My question was answered in spades and I truly am grateful to know a place to go just to "Talk Chicken". Thanks again...looking forward to interacting with you all....DJoe

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Sometimes there is a delay in responding to posts simply because of the sheer abundance of them at certain times of the year. I'm off and on during the day and most of the night.
    But others due to jobs and their farm duties can only answer new members at certain times in their day. Some greeters are students etc. In general we all answer whenever we are able.

I would post on your state thread to see if others use concrete flooring. In some areas of the US it is necessary because of so many burrowing predators that come up under the flooring. You could also ask around to see what breeds do best in your area/climate.

Welcome to Backyard chickens.

9. DJoe

DJoe Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2016
    Thanks for the replies. They were there...I just had to learn to navigate the site in order to view them. I'm slow but not quite hopeless-;).

I'm loving that there is a place to "talk chicken" and you guys and gals are really responsive and really care about folks and there various poultry ponderings. Will be in touch again I'm sure as we embark on our new poultry keeping journey.

DJoe

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by