New to chicken illnesses

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by EggHead83, Nov 26, 2016.

1. EggHead83

EggHead83 New Egg

Aug 14, 2016
    In the past 6 weeks I had two pullets die at approximately 20 weeks. Same symptoms, as they first became listless and lethargic and then their wings began to droop and they kept their head tucked into their body. Next they would basically lie on their side and shortly thereafter they died. This process occurred over a few days. Today I noticed one of the pullets demonstrating similar characteristics. I have limited experience with chickens and zero experience with determining illnesses. Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I don't want my entire flock to suffer the same fate. Thanks.

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    The best possible thing you can do for your flock is to take or send the sick one to your state poultry lab for humane euthanasia, necropsy and lab work. You've already lost 2 and another on the way. That way, you'll know what is afflicting them, if it can be cured and what treatment is necessary.

There really is no other way. No one can guess from the dozens or hundreds of things it could be without lab work.

What state are you in?

1 person likes this.
  3. EggHead83

EggHead83 New Egg

Aug 14, 2016
    Ontario, Canada

4. DwayneNLiz

DwayneNLiz ...lost... Premium Member

Jun 18, 2013
    NH
    is there any blood in their poop?
    are they losing weight, how does their keel feel?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 26, 2016
  5. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
  6. EggHead83

EggHead83 New Egg

Aug 14, 2016
    Fortunately Guelph is the closet urban centre to my property. Thanks.

7. EggHead83

EggHead83 New Egg

Aug 14, 2016
    No blood in the poop that I can detect. It appears to be losing weight. Feels thin. I was surprised that this evening the sick bird was up on the roost. The other two birds I lost were spending the night in the nesting boxes.

8. EggHead83

EggHead83 New Egg

Aug 14, 2016
    The bird looks and is acting about the same today. I have confirmed no blood or visible worms in its poop, however it does have diarrhea. I throughly cleaned and sanitized the food and water dishes and cleaned the coop.

My flock usually spends the day in open dirt runs, however autumn has been very mild and the run is extremely muddy. As a result I have them free ranging the yard and they are loving it. No signs of any other sick birds. I have added cider vinegar to all my birds water as I've read this can help with worms and other parasites. Is this helpful?

If the sick bird appears in pain or if there is no improvement I am gonna euthanize her and send her to the lab as I'm concerned that my entire flock will be infected.

Any other recommendations are appreciated.

9. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I prefer to send a live bird. I don't think they charge extra for the euthanasia and then the carcass is in perfect condition for examination.
    Refrain from offering any type of medication prior to sending the bird because that will skew the results.

I no longer give ACV in the water. I do occasionally ferment feed if weather cooperates but mostly that is to reduce feed waste. I prefer a probiotic in the water occasionally. I use Gro2Max, which is formulated specifically for chickens.

I forgot to ask what you were feeding the birds throughout their 20 weeks of life.

10. EggHead83

EggHead83 New Egg

Aug 14, 2016
    I started with chick starter for the first few weeks then moving to a medicated grower until about 16 weeks and they have been on an omega 3 layer feed since.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by