New to chicken keeping - should I be worried about this?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by amandajane, Sep 24, 2011.

1. amandajane

amandajane New Egg

Apr 28, 2011
    I have 3 hybrid hens which I got 3 months ago. They are lovely and healthy, and laying every day.

This morning though I went down to feed them and one of them, Camilla, came out of the coop as usual and ate her breakfast but then stood very still in the run for ages which is not like her. The others were pecking around as usual. When I looked at her bottom there was something big and white hanging from it (It looked a bit like a white poo)

I called my husband to have a look and he pulled it off and said it looked like a bit of egg that had not formed properly. She seems fine now but I just wanted to ask the experts opinions on this forum whether it's something I should be worried about? Does this mean she's got something wrong with her? I love my hens so much so if there's anything I should be doing about this then I would like to know.

Thank you,

Amanda

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    All you can do is make sure they are on a good diet with a good amount of protein and offer oyster shell for calcium. All these help with proper egg development, shell and movement of the egg. Just keep an eye on her in the future. [​IMG]

3. clairabean

clairabean Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Kootenays of BC!
    Not much you can do except keep an eye on her.

Has she previously layed eggs? Is she a clockwork egg layer? If so, keep an eye on her egg prodcution. Could have been just a fluke.

4. amandajane

amandajane New Egg

Apr 28, 2011
    Yes that's what I was going to do, but just worried that I was missing something.

They get a good balanced diet and she lays egs every day like clockwork, just today that she had a problem.

Hopefully tomorrow we'll get an egg from her as usual.

Thank you for your replies,

A

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by