New to chicken kiddies

Discussion in 'Animals In Need of Free Re-Homing' started by Pixielee, Jun 18, 2016.

1. Pixielee

Pixielee New Egg

Jun 18, 2016
    Phoenix, Az
    My husband and I live in central Phoenix, Arizona. We are very active in animal rescue specializing in special needs dogs and kitties. We currently buy our eggs from another rescue person who does not eat her pets. We would like to have four chickens for eggs and pets. They would never be killled for food
    or because they stopped laying. Can anyone point us in what our next step should be? Where we might acquire four chicks that would get along and give us eggs as a bonus?
    Thank you in advance for any help you can give us?

2. new 2 pfowl

new 2 pfowl Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2012
    California
  3. 7littlegirls

7littlegirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2015
    Long Island NY
    Hi! :frow welcome to BYC! Have fun picking out your new pets!

4. KuneKune

KuneKune Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2016
    Franklin, Georgia
    I would suggest orps or Barred rocks.

5. KuneKune

KuneKune Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2016
    Franklin, Georgia
    Welcome to BYC!

6. luvmychickenz

luvmychickenz Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2015
    Abita Springs, LA
    Welcome to BYC!! Thanks to you and your husband for your animal rescue services. I don't live in AZ to give any suggestions specific to your area. New 2 pfowl has helped a lot with that. But just as Kune Kune suggests, Barred Rocks, Orpingtons are perfect for starting up. They are great layers and calmer demeanors. Easter Eggers are also great layers and good personalities, plus make pretty colored eggs if you are interested in some variations.
    Good Luck!!!

7. stake

stake Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2013
    Malvern, pa
    for my two cents, build a coop and pen x3 times the size you think you want...figure out the predator situation...make friends with your neighbors.... choose birds that suit your climate....make friends with other BYCers close by, they can help...good luck

8. luvmychickenz

luvmychickenz Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2015
    Abita Springs, LA
    Perfect summary of being a caring and conscientious chicken owner, stake. Pixielee, if possible, definitely build your coop larger. If you're Like most of us, owning chickens is addictive. You can't help but fall in love with them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by