New to chicken raising, a little help with the chick food?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Le Doux Farm, Aug 23, 2010.

1. Le Doux Farm

Le Doux Farm New Egg

Aug 23, 2010
    Nashua
    Hey there! I just have a few questions about chick feed and how to grow all of my chickens organically.

Ok first things first, I am getting 3 Barred Rocks, 3 Leghorns, and 3 Rhode Island Reds as my egg producers, and about 20-25 broilers, so I need to know:
    1. Where to get organic food/grit/oyster shell/etc.
    2. What to get.

I know a few things about the chickens so i dont need a complete tutorial, but more of a schedule as when to feed/what to feed.

Thanks!

2. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    Aren't the Purena products organic?

Organic is such a loose term. Mine eat Purena Non medicated chick feed and the older chickens who lay eggs eat layena and all of them also free range. The crumbles are really just for supplementing their diet.

Caroline

3. Luke13:34

Luke13:34 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2010
    The Naugatuck Valley
    Your most organic option would be to let the chickens free range over several acres- foraging for their own food.

A second option would be to make your own feed using organic grains. You can Google "chicken feed recipes" or dig around the Feeding and Watering Your Flock forum.

I know that mypetchicken.com has organic feed. I haven't looked around to see what other brands may be available.

I don't know yet about scheduling and amounts. My plan is to simply have an automatic feeder.

Edited to add: if you buy premixed orgainc feed, be sure to read the label. I was just looking at the list of ingredients for Green Mountain Organic feed and couldn't pronounce half of them.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2010
  4. Le Doux Farm

Le Doux Farm New Egg

Aug 23, 2010
    Nashua
    Okay so I think i can get some at a TSC and just get some organic feed, but besides that, what do i normally feed them the first month of their lives?

5. Luke13:34

Luke13:34 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2010
    The Naugatuck Valley
    Look for your premixed feed to say that it is specifically for chicks. It may say chick crumles or chick mash.

6. ChickLover98

ChickLover98 The Chicken Princess

Apr 24, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    I get my feed at Tractor Supply. My laying hens eat Purina Layena and I fed them regular chick starter crumbles as chicks. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by