1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

new to chicken raising

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by buck1075, Nov 6, 2011.

1. buck1075

buck1075 New Egg

Nov 6, 2011
    hello, i live in northern ohio and have 2 rhode island reds,they are about 3 months old, my coop is one of those pens you buy from tractor supply that the front door drops down that has the wire on it, well i modified it by covering most of the door with wood and that part does not drop,just about 8 inches drops down now,it has the wire mesh on it,if you have seen these you know what they are,sides are wire with plywood covering most area but the top couple of inches,lift up roof etc, have it sitting next to a run i have built that has the drop down door entering it, it appr, 4ft by 6ft by 4 ft high. Is this going to be alright for the winter months coming up here in northern ohio. just getting started at raising chickens any help with suggestions? just wanted to know if this pen will be ok for the chickens in our cold winter here in northern ohio.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
  2. Freak4Jesus

Freak4Jesus New Egg

Jul 9, 2011
    I am new to chicken raising, too! But, from what I gather, chickens, once totally feathered in, can withstand most weather. Maybe now, until they are fully feathered, you could put a light bulb in the coop. This should be sufficient heat. Keep us informed!!!
    [​IMG]

3. cat1994

cat1994 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Southeast MO
    I would cover it with a tarp maybe or cover it straw either loss or in square bales. As long as they don’t get wet and there is not wind blowing on them they should be just fine.

4. jeepguy982001

jeepguy982001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2011
    athens, wv
    sounds like you getting good advice and [​IMG]

5. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    [​IMG]

I would consider putting up some type of block plywood or plastic or something on the North and the West sides of the coop to barrier from the wind, rain and snow

6. buck1075

buck1075 New Egg

Nov 6, 2011
    thanks for the info my pen and run is behind a shed and next to my garage where wind is minimal,but i thought of putting something over the sides where plywood does not cover the wire on the pen sides.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
  7. Stephanie739

Stephanie739 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2011
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. simplynewt

simplynewt Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    Alabama
    My Coop
    Yep, I would suggest wrapping Tarp or heavy plastic around your run to retain some heat.

Welcome to BYC BTW [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by