New to chicken world

JamieMcClain

Songster
Jul 1, 2020
Hey guys, this weekend we are taking in 4 chickens from a family who can no longer care for them. I’ve owned lots of ducks and some geese but never chickens. What are your best tips for bringing home full grown chickens (not chicks). I built them a coop (3ft x 7ft) that opens on both sides for easy cleaning and has ventilation at the top. Will it be big enough for 4? Eventually we will build a bigger 10 x 10 for them to go in like we have for the ducks and geese but this was kind of short notice. I feed an all flock to the ducks and geese, can the chickens eat that too? Also we have a 2 acre fenced in yard that my birds currently free range in during the day, will they be able to also or should I build them a pen (I’ve got some random fencing materials laying around)? Any other MUST HAVE items for them? Helpful tips or suggestions? I know 2 of them are wyandotte and I’m not sure of the other two. Thanks!

Sounds good so far, as long as they are healthy. Do look hard for mites or lice, at least, and treat if any are found.
I'd make them a run also, because your geese, especially, may not be kind to invaders in their space. Give the hens a chance to settle into their coop and safe run, before opening things up. Be ready if there are issues with your resident birds.
All the best,
Mary

I built them a coop (3ft x 7ft) that opens on both sides for easy cleaning and has ventilation at the top. Will it be big enough for 4?

If that is all the room they have, maybe not for long. That's where a run could come in handy. It's usually a good idea to lock them up for a few days so they learn where home is. If you just turn them loose to free range they may go walk-about or might start sleeping in trees. It could work out fine without a run, you never know until you try. I just like the extra flexibility a run gives me, even if it is temporary.

Eventually we will build a bigger 10 x 10 for them to go in

I don't know how you build your 10 x 10's. If you are buying it the least expensive building materials tend to come in 4' and 8' dimensions. An 8x8 would be more than big enough for four hens even without a run and might be less expensive to build than a 10 x 10.

I feed an all flock to the ducks and geese, can the chickens eat that too?

Yes, but there may be an issue. When they are laying hens need extra calcium for their egg shells. All Flock doesn't have that. Layer does but it sounds like yours will free range so yours might not get enough calcium for good egg shells even if you fed Layer. I don't know how your ducks and geese handle that. If your native rock is limestone they may get enough calcium from the rocks they eat. I grew up in limestone country and our free ranging chickens did got plenty from that. Many of us offer oyster shell on the side, the hens that need the calcium seem to know it and eat it. Not sure how ducks and geese handle oyster shell. Basically your egg shells will tell you if extra calcium is a problem or not. If the shells are OK they are getting enough calcium from somewhere.

Also we have a 2 acre fenced in yard that my birds currently free range in during the day, will they be able to also or should I build them a pen (I’ve got some random fencing materials laying around)?

With a 3 x 7 I would. With an 8x8 or bigger it's not necessary. As I said I just like the flexibility a run gives me but with just 4 hens you can leave them locked in a big coop if you need to.

Any other MUST HAVE items for them?

Must haves? Food, water, nests, roosts, protection from predators, and protection from weather depending on where you are. Keep it dry which could be fun around ducks. Predators would be the same ones that go after your ducks. Weather may mean shade if it is really hot in the summer and protection in the coop at night from a direct cold breeze in winter. Could write a whole lot on any of these but their needs are pretty simple.

A lot of us have personal preferences for other things but with you free ranging them on 2 acres it can be really simple.

Back
Top Bottom