New to chickening.... Glad to have found this group.

Jan 29, 2023
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens? I am new to this type pet. Just getting started. I have researched as much as I can and found that their are a lot of opinions on everything.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now? I don't have any yet. I want to do this right, so infrastructure is going in now. I ordered a nice VERY large coop and hen house with an extra run from the Chicken Coop Company. I wanted something solid wood that would last a long time. My coop arrives on the 31st. I am looking at three to four hens at the most. The run is 80 square feet, so I hope that is big enough for my girls to be happy. Since we have natural predators, and my back yard is already professionally fenced, I am going to put the coop inside that fence so it will be double fenced. The coop and run is all done with hardwire and not chicken wire. I want them to be safe. I have been gathering other things as well already, feeders, waterers, food, treats, scratch, DE, bedding, nest pads, etc. I even got a chicken swing for my girls.

(3) What breeds do you have? None yet. I am looking at friendly breeds Wyandotte's, Whiting True Greens, Speckled Sussex, Buff Orpington's. I am looking for pullets or nearly grown hens.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens? I am excited about the whole process. I live in a house of all boys, so some girls would be nice. The eggs are a huge benefit. I want to know as much as I can where my food comes from and what is in it. I am not raising meat chickens.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies? Gardening, crafting, reading, baking, sewing. Spending time with my grands. They are aged 3 - 8. I also do photography and editing when I have time.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share: I live in rural NW GA mountain region on a LOT of acreage. I have been gardening (organically) for many years, taught by my father and grand parents. My grandparents had chickens. I have grand children and have been teaching them how to garden. I think they need to learn those things. I have decided to get some laying hens, maybe with different colored eggs to teach them how to to care for them and where our food comes from. This will supply our household with eggs. It's just my husband and I in the house, but I also have three schnauzers(dogs) all boys. I have 8 grandchildren including two sets of twins. I am a nurse in my 26th year. I work from home and have for years, so I am able to keep a good eye on things and do things here at the house.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D I only just found you guys and thought It would benefit me to have all the wisdom here of established chicken keepers. Your community came up while searching for chickens.

Attachments

• GregTammy (2).jpg
    GregTammy (2).jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 9
Yes, I agree. I am still trying to locate some reputable hatcheries. I don't want to do the baby chick thing. I don't have a set up for it. I do see where some of the hatcheries that have chickens say they are vaccinated. But I have only found a few within a reasonable distance for me to pick up and they don't have birds right now. Expecting some in the spring. I see a lot of places that will mail you birds. Is that even safe? Poor babies. I am in Georgia. So I am still looking. I am also very close to Tennessee as well. I need to look in that area.

Back
Top Bottom