New to "chickening"

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by BarbsChicks, Jan 24, 2015.

1. BarbsChicks

BarbsChicks New Egg

Jan 24, 2015
    Hi, my name is Barb and I am going to give having backyard chickens a try this spring (or maybe summer). Not yet sure what month is best to start chicks here in Colorado. Very excited to have found this chicken forum!

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC!

This is the place to be for all the fun and learning!!

First you will want to stop by our learning center for all kinds of great articles on getting started with chickens, building the coop, raising the chicks, and keeping your adult flock happy, healthy and safe from predators...https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

As for being in Colorado, @Mountain Peeps will be by shortly to welcome you to BYC. She is from Colorado and can tell you more than I can. However if you are going to order chicks through the mail, you will want to wait until at least April maybe even May as the night time temps are way too cold for shipping. Local feed stores should be carrying them pretty soon however.

Make yourself at home here and if you have any questions feel free to ask. Welcome to our flock!

3. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

It all depends on how you plan to buy your chicks. If you are having them shipped then the best time to order them would be February or March since Hatcheries sell out quickly. Or you can wait until June or July. Hatcheries are most busy in the early spring months.

If you plan to buy them locally then you need to decide what store you will be getting them. JAX sells chicks in February through April I think. That is where I found my chicks. My friend said that some farm stores sell chicks year round. I'm not sure which stores she was talking about but it wouldn't hurt to look around where you are.

Also, if you are wanting eggs in the same year you buy your baby chicks, then you need to get them in spring or even late winter. This is because pullets take about 4-7 months to start laying and need warmth and light in order to do so. So let's say you buy your chicks in March; they will probably start laying in August or September. That all depends on breed too.

What breeds do you plan on raising? I peronally recommend Buff Orpingtons. They are affectionate, friendly, docile, great layers and bear confinement well. They also do excellent in cold weather which we, Coloradans know is a necessity!

I hope this helps! Feel free to PM me with questions too!

2 people like this.
  4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Glad you joined the flock

5. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    TwoCrows and Mountain Peeps have given you some great answers and places to start here on BYC - but I wanted to add my own [​IMG]

Glad to have you join our flock!

6. matt44644

matt44644 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2014
    Sanilac County,Michigan
    [​IMG]

7. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Howdy!

8. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] I'm glad you joined us!

You've received some good advice already.

9. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC![​IMG] I'm glad you joined.

I suggest getting chicks around April or so. Earlier than that, and it may be too cold. Birds hatched in April should be laying by wintertime.

Have you thought about which breeds you'd want?

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask! I'd love to help out a new chicken owner.[​IMG]

10. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to our flock. X2 on TwoCrow's and Mountain Peep's advice. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Do you have a breed preference?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by