New to chickens and BYC!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by urbanchickymama, Apr 14, 2012.

1. urbanchickymama

urbanchickymama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2012
    Hey everyone, new to BYC military wife and mom of 2 boys, but enough about me!! After over a year of hemming, hawing, lurking, research, and gathering supplies, I am finally the proud owner of 6 "red pullets" (TSC, the "potential breeds" listed were: RIR, NHR, RSL, and PRs.) There are at least 2 different breeds I'm sure because 2 of them are quite a bit more yellow and their emerging wing feathers are creamy buff and not cinnamon-tinted like the others, and who knows if they are really all pullets since the boy used the tip-it-on-its-back-and-see-if-it-kicks method lol.
    I am thrilled, I have waited so long for these little fluffballs!! My husband has been laughing at me because since we got them I've been wandering out to the garage and just staring at them for an hour lol. So anyway, long winded intro but I am glad to have some chickies and glad to be on BYC! :)

2. MontanaMomma

MontanaMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2008
    Congratulations! BYC is a fantastic place to learn about keeping happy chickens. Do your research and you'll be a great chickie momma!

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

4. Aeropennchick

Aeropennchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Southern PA
    Congrats on your chicks and welcome to the forum! Four of my feathered kids are TSC "red pullets" and they are very sweet and friendly. Your husband will probably be watching them too, soon enough!

Have a look at my photos if you want to see how my guys turned out so far.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2012
  5. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

6. The Red Rooster

The Red Rooster Poultry Observer

Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us.[​IMG]

7. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad you joined. We have heard some strange ways to sex chicks, but tip it on it's back to see if it kicks method, is one I haven't heard of. :lau

8. dreamer5577

dreamer5577 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Hi && Welcome!!!
    [​IMG]

9. urbanchickymama

urbanchickymama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2012
    Oh and I'm in GA, forgot to mention!
    Yes according to this kid if you tip it on to it's back and it kicks it's a boy, lol.
    I can't complain though, he was actually very knowledgeable
    (especially for his age, he couldn't have been 21) besides the old wives' tale.
    I am enjoying my little cuties so much! [​IMG]

10. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by