New to Chickens and BYC

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Knyfe, Nov 22, 2012.

1. Knyfe

Knyfe Out Of The Brooder

Nov 22, 2012
    Hi. I'm Knyfe, a new member (obviously) to BYC. I joined to learn more about chickens (my second favourite animals) and how to raise them. I've a complete novice when it comes to chickens and have never raised any before, but I may be getting a coop around next month and when the weather begins to warm up again, I'll be getting two hens. The breed that I think would be most suitable is the Plymouth Rock chicken or the Star chicken. (They'll be for egg laying only.) I'm hoping for one of each if that's possible; does anyone know about the socialization behaviors of two different breeds of chickens? Are the breeds I've chosen good or alright for beginners?

As for more about me. . . . I've played clarinet for about three years now and take part in marching band in addition to concerts. There is a jazz band opening up soon that I will also be participating in. I have three cats, each just over a year old, by the names of Brady, Penny and Liberty. We also have a parakeet who will be turning 7 years old in a few months, which is pretty old for a parakeet. We also have a few Koi and goldfish in the backyard.

That's all.

2. Crafty-Duck

Crafty-Duck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2012
    Lucky Duck Pond
    [​IMG][​IMG]

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings and hello, knyfe,and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined us! Best of luck with your new chickens. BYC will be a great resource for you should you have any questions. Best of luck to you!

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Have a look at the Breeds section for more info on your chosen breeds. I've successfully kept an assortment of breeds and X breeds together and I know most of the members here have more than one breed.

5. DDNONIN2016

DDNONIN2016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2012
    SW Ohio
    Hello and welcome from Ohio....so glad you joined

6. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    :frow & :welcome from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

7. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

8. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG] from California!

9. Knyfe

Knyfe Out Of The Brooder

Nov 22, 2012
    Thank you all. :D I'm sure I will enjoy my time here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by