1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New to chickens and BYC

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by dcosr, Dec 12, 2013.

1. dcosr

dcosr New Egg

Dec 9, 2013
    Marshfield, MA
    Have 9 chickens since last April and starting the winter season in Massachusetts.
    Currently 18 degrees. Our Orpington has decided to roost outside by herself at night instead of going into the coop with the other chickens. Should I be concerned or is this normal behavior?
    It has been in the 20's for the last week and she doesn't seem to be affected by the cold. Two nights ago she stayed out during the snow and was covered with icy feathers in the morning.
    She roosted inside until it started to get cold. Any thoughts?

2. LRH97

LRH97 Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Jul 29, 2013
    Southern Illinois
    I had an Ameraucana that used to want to sleep on the roof of the coop every night. It took a good month of getting her down and putting her inside for her to finally get the point. Orpingtons are pretty cold hardy, but I wouldn't risk the chance of her getting sick from being outside all night, especially in the snow. I would be more concerned with something getting her though. Your chances of losing a bird drastically increase at night, if you don't have a predator-proof coop.

3. cluckcluckgirl

cluckcluckgirl Queen of the Coop Premium Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Tending to my chickens
    [​IMG] I have had some hens that don't mind the cold as much as others. They'll go in when they want to, and all I can say is that you can't force them to stay in, and they're very winter hardy. As long as they have a warm place to retreat to when they get too cold, they'll do their own chicken-things.[​IMG]

4. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC! I would keep her confined to the coop/run for a week or so, then she will learn where she's supposed to sleep. Good luck to you.

5. dcosr

dcosr New Egg

Dec 9, 2013
    Marshfield, MA
    She is confined to the enclosed pen and the coop door is open if she decides to go inside. She should be safe from predators, unless a predator makes his way through the fence. Then all the chicken are at risk.
    Guess I'll just keep an eye on her.

6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Is there plenty of roost space inside the coop, could somebody else be picking on the orp making her reluctant to come inside in the evening?

7. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome! Glad you joined us!

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC!

9. petrel

petrel Chats with Chickens

Welcome to BYC!