New to Chickens and coops

DourS

Chirping
Jan 31, 2017
Just getting started on my coop. Making it out of reclaim pallet lumber. I'm new to this and have learned a lot but have a lot to learn. There will be a 16' by 5' outside run. Planning on 6 chickens. Feedback appreciated.

Thanks

I plan on treating it and letting it dry good before getting chickens. Almost all of the outside lumber is oak which I'm told will hold up well in the weather. Working on the roof and outside run next. There will be vents in the gable ends of the roof.

Thanks for the reply.

Last edited:
Looks like you are off to a fast start.

But since you have asked for advice, do you have plans for any windows? Looks like the coop is situated on a north facing slope, which is in and of itself a serious potential problem, but may be mitigated by placing an abundance of windows on the south side. I assume that is the side above the pop hole?

What is your general location? (Helps to determine climate factors).

You're gonna want to upgrade the latches on the nest box and big clean out door. It's easy for them to loosen over time allowing the door to gap enough for a predator to then pry the door open. It's also very easy for raccoons to just open them.

Last edited:
thanks for the advise on the latches. There are coons in my area so I will make a change on the latches.

I'm located in Virginia. I have plans to put vents in the gable ends of the roof. I have toyed with the idea of adding windows for natural light and to open during warmer months. Will the vents be enough?
Suggestions.

That depends on what you mean by "vents". In Virginia I'd want substantial cross ventilation in summer otherwise you'll end up with a little sweatbox for a coop. Little louvered vents aren't going to offer much. If your run isn't going to be covered, in winter your birds may spend a fair amount of time in the coop so some natural light will be nice.

I'd do both. Put in some good sized vents at the gables. Then put in a couple top hinged windows too. Top hinged allows you to open them but helps keep the wind and weather out.

sounds like good advise. The outside run will be covered but it does get humid during the summer time so I will add some windows for light and ventilation.

thanks

Finally finished. The hanging bucket will be lowered as a waterer. Right now they are confined to the coop but will be let out in a week or so when they will be 7 weeks old.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Back
Top Bottom